1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Former Prius owner now NAH owner

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by karmamule, Dec 29, 2008.

1. karmamule

karmamule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 Prius has started having issues more frequently, and recently I had a particularly bad one (dashboard lit up like an Xmas tree, barely could move forward) I had to have it towed to a nearby dealership. The next day while waiting to hear what was wrong with it, on a whim I decided to check out other hybrids to pass some time.

Much to my surprise, after seeing and driving a Nissan Altima Hybrid (which I previously had assumed would be a lame Prius-wannabe) I absolutely fell in love with it: I really liked the styling; the handling and acceleration were very, very good, and I also very much liked the interior and various amenities the fully loaded version had.

After a day's consideration I made the plunge and this evening just drove home in my new Navy Blue NAH. (I figured dealers would be especially motivated at the end-of-year, and got one for a couple hundred below invoice.) My spouse has a slightly younger 2005 Prius, but he's really impressed by the NAH too. We'll most likely wait for the 2010 Prius to come out, and then he'll either replace his with the 2010 or another NAH, depending on what we think of it a year from now.

Here's my first take on the advantages each car has when comparing it to the other. (+/- being something that may be seen as an advantage or disadvantage based on personal preferences.)

Prius
    + Better mileage
    +/- Unique styling that screams "I'M A HYBRID"
    + Significantly more storage space
    + Has 2nd generation Toyota hybrid technology vs licensed 1st generation Toyota hybrid technology
    + Less expensive for similar option packages

NAH
    + Better acceleration and handling (198 hp combined ICE/electrical)
    +/- Attractive styling that doesn't stand out as much
    + Bose sound system is absolutely superb (surprisingly *much* better than even the premium system on the Prius)
    + Dual zone climate control and heated seats (yay during winter!)
    + 5 star crash ratings for driver and passenger, both front and side
    + Quieter cabin
    + Tilt AND telescoping driver wheel (I'm tall, so the telescoping is very nice to have)

From my point of view the NAH had some really nice plusses, but, on a more visceral level I just really liked how it felt to sit in it and drive it.

If anyone's interested in more details I'd be happy to provide them.

I've owned both gen 1 and gen 2 Priuses and was very happy with both of them, so this is by no means a 'Prius bashing post'. I've just found a car I fell in love with *even more*. :)

-Eddie

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread is screaming its need for photos.

Really. Photos. Please. Thank you :p

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you haven't had it long, but in a week or two I'd be interested in seeing some real-world mileage comparisons b/w what you routinely got in your Prius vs what you're getting in the NAH.

4. karmamule

karmamule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, agreed. Unfortuately it was already dark out when I took delivery. I'll take some tomorrow and post them then!

Evan: That's a good idea too. I'll post my mileage after a couple weeks.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you,re happy with it. I am an unashamed Datsun basher so I shall bow out gracefully now.
    Wishing you many years of faithful service from your new car.

6. karmamule

karmamule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My parents got a Nissan Sentra right around the time Datsun changed their name to Nissan, and it served them very well, so I have some good associations with it. Other friends of mine had nice things to say about them as well. We'll see how things turn out with this one.

Thanks for your positive wishes! I appreciate it. :)

7. karmamule

karmamule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I quite effectively ruined my gas mileage by sitting in the car for over half an hour with it running while I read the manual and played with the nav system, audio system, and other goodies. Not only half an hour last night, but also half an hour or so tonight. I'll refill this weekend and then try to avoid the urge to do the same thing again, and use that as a first glimpse at how my mileage will do.

:p

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Are the NAH discussion groups this much fun? Be honest :)

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, that BOSE in the NAH sounds almost as good as the Infinity BOSE system. I think the treble is not as clear as the Infinity. The bass are as powerful with the sub-woofer sound.

NAH has the same HSD as the Camry. It has newer technology than the Iconic Prius because the inverter is smaller and runs at 650V.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It doesn't appear Karmamule is looking through PriusChat any longer.

Too bad. I'd like to hear how the NAH mileage compared to the 2005.

I've long been a fan of the Nissan Maxima (I've had two), and I owned one of the newer Altimas (a 2005). That Altima was basically the same size, and nearly the same car, as my 1998 Maxima. Though the four-banger in the Altima was nothing close to the V-6 in the Maximas, the interior appointments were very nice in the Altima. The four-cylinder engine was a bit noisy, and it wasn't all that peppy, but it returned mileage of close to 30 on the highway.

Oh -- the Bose systems really seem to sound great in the Nissans. The premium JBL in my '07 wasn't really very close to the Nissans' Bose systems. The premium JBL in the 2010 is much closer. I don't know that it is quite the same sound, though, but it is much closer.

The NAH may be a nice ride, but I can't see that it would really compete with the Prius for mileage. It wouldn't have a chance against the 2010!

11. branndonbass

branndonbass New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    show some photos of your awesome ride.plss