1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found blown 120a fuse above 12v aux battery - How to access/replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by notarobot, May 3, 2018.

1. notarobot

notarobot New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picture attached. The plastic white fuse block is attached presumably with bolt inside the black plastic housing sitting on the 12v aux battery hold down bar.

Anybody have any idea how to open this without damage? I've pulled the whole thing off the bar now and it has what appear to be some plastic clips on top, but underneath feels like there's still a rigid internal connection but not apparent clips/buttons/lever things.

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi ,

Look ( harder ;) ) for the clips that allow the side flaps to fold out for access to the bolts. Here is a picture of the thing open in my Gen 1, where the design was slightly different, but probably not a lot.

How's your progress on identifying why your fuse blew?

-Chap

[​IMG]

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen1 looks nothing like the battery area to a G2.

You have the 2 connectors pulled out thats good so the battery is isolated from the chassis. I have never had to service that 100 amp its the big white one. If it was me I would unbolt it off the + connector of the battery and get it out of the car and you can get a good look at that assy. I assume that white fuse unlclicks and pulls out..

if you blew that 100 amper that usually means you have swapped the leads on your battery jumper cables. Which means the battery is dead and needs to be replaced. Also it has been rare on this site that having blown that fuse it did not damage the inverter or take out the 100 amp solder in fuse in the front fuse box also.

It saw huge current there to blow that fuse.

if it was me I would replace that battery then hook a car headlight in place of that 100 amp fuse. Dont start the car!!

Plug in that lamp plug in then the 2 power leads into the battery assy and with car off if the lamp is on super bright you have a dead short on that 12 volt power buss=Blown Inverter.

If lamp is not the slightest bit lit you have another blown fuse in the front black plastic fuse box the 100 amp pain in the nice person soldered in fuse
    under the hood.

If the lamp is dimly lit you may be ok and try to start the car. Thats with a new battery.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I've been told that Gen 1 looks nothing like the battery area in a Gen 2. :)

If the OP looks closely enough at the connector/fuse assembly that sits on the positive post, though, I think it will look rather similar, though the post clamp (which attaches with a bolt and is probably interchangeable) comes out at a different angle.

The white fuse will not just unlock and pull out; as the OP correctly guessed, there are small bolts through both of its legs, covered by the plastic folding flaps at the side of the assembly.

If they don't unfold exactly the way they do in Gen 1, I doubt they are so different you can't spot how they do.

-Chap

Raytheeagle and qettyz like this.