1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found mobil1 oil filters on sale and a deal on synthetic oil.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by morpheusx, Jul 31, 2007.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was due for an oil change yesterday and wanted to share that at advance auto parts they have Mobil1 filters on sale for $8.88 and not being satisfied with their prices on oil I drove down the street to autozone and they had all weights of Castrol Syntec (black bottle) on sale for $4.50 qt..

2. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

No offense, but that doesn't sound cheap to me. I got my filter for like $6, though it was a Fram filter.

At least at my local Wal-Mart they had the 5qt containers of Castrol Syntec for like $20, as well as other brands like Mobil1 and Penzoil.

3. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 1 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]488788[/snapback]</div>
    yeah I used to use Fram because they were so cheap, apparently there is a reason why they are so cheap, apparently through this forum and on numerous websites Fram rates as the worst filter period.
    Yeah I could have gone to Wal Mart for the oil my wal mart charges about $25 for the 5 gallon jug. and charges about 5.80 a qt for the syntec unless it is on sale.

Regular price for a M1 filter by the way is usually about 12 - 14 bucks.

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Really, I never heard anything about Fram filters. The only reason I used one is because that's what they put in on my last oil change.

BTW, I'm a newbie at this kinda stuff. How in the world am I supposed to figure out which filters to use, both oil and air? I only got the oil filter because I had the old one with the part number on it. Is it the same part between brands, or what?

5. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 2 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]489655[/snapback]</div>
    take a look at this site
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 31 2007, 06:02 PM) [snapback]488363[/snapback]</div>
    Not in the Chicago area! Darn it i need to replenish my supply of 0W30 "European" Syntec.

Wayne

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexstarfire @ Aug 2 2007, 07:49 PM) [snapback]489655[/snapback]</div>
    Also here... http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Bob the oil guy. Maybe he has some creditentials ... but it'd be nice if he listed them. Like at least a bachlers degree in chemestry? Or did he just, "read up" on oil? Can't tell. The other web page? Put up by the, "knizefamily". Their web site is mostly down. Is their 'mopar' lovin' knowledge greater than web design? Don't know. But they're quick to bag on the society of automotive engineers (SAE). Usually engineers have at least a bachlers in engineering ... one would think. But the knizefamily.net doesn't say why their findings (that the oil filters that carry the SAE approval seal) are superior to what the SAE find as sufficient. It's kinda conclusary to say, "our view is better" and not so much as publish a statement as to why the other view says differently.

I used to install the Frantz "Toilet Paper" cartridge filter. But our prior cars all lasted over 100K miles, with or without the "extra wonderful" filter. My gosh, how bad can a new filter get after 4 or 5k miles? I don't know, but I'd rather seek an answer from C.R. (they say what their credentials are) than the 2 sources above, that don't say why their findings differ.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Aug 2 2007, 06:07 PM) [snapback]489785[/snapback]</div>

Would you buy (Dr.) Bose speakers? CR usually has a decent rating of them or they did at one time. Just about everyone on any audio forum pretty much trashes them.

10. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Aug 3 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]489802[/snapback]</div>
    I think that Bose speakers are usually trashed because of 2 reasons,
    1) they are expensive
    2) alot of people are unable to distinguish the difference between a great pair of just say Technics or Sony Speakers and Bose, because most people only listen to the middle range, so when they compare it sounds about the same and people then say you know for all that money I don't think they are much better if at all.

Now as far as the other guy that said something like to make a comparison he should have a bachelor's <-- (you misspelled this by the way) degree in chemistry? <-- you misspelled this too) Come on really its cars and motor oil. Is it really that hard to tell if you cut open a filter one's element is made of synthetic foam another of paper cardboard.
    It's like when I go to buy a new filter for my house a/c / furnace I have a choice do I want the cheap fiberglass one that is 88 cents that captures dog hair and that's about it or do I want the one that costs more that captures dust, pollen, etc.... I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that one is better then the other just by looking at it. You get what you pay for, by the way I too had a car where I religiously used Fram filters It lasted 185,000 and rumor has it the guy I sold it to has it up and running, but I also changed the oil in that car every single 3000 miles and after about 2 years (30,000 miles), everytime I changed the oil it was solid black, but I didn't know that it shouldn't look like that if you are changing at the scheduled interval and only at 3000 miles.

11. Fitchdave

Fitchdave Silver Squirell

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Morpheusx,

I agree, no advanced degrees needed. Thanks for the link to Bob the Oil Guy, and the price at AutoZone and Advanced.

By the way; I just got my Prius 2 weeks ago. Replaced a 1989 Olds Cutlass wagon with 190,000 miles which still runs great, burns NO oil between changes (3500 mile). Last new car I bought was way back in 1992. Used teflon (sp?) additive every 40,000 miles, but not synthetic oil.

When do you suggest going to Mobil1 or another good brand of syntec? My first oil change? Should that be early or at 3000-4000 miles?

Thanks,
    Dave

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So sorry about not using spell check. Sometimes time won’t permit. For some I guess I’ll have to make a special list. That’s why it took a while to reply. As for lubrication? Right. No need for degrees / credentials when merely advising about filters / oil / lubrication. That’s right. How silly. That’s what (one of scores of examples) Alaska Airlines management used to think before a jacking screw failed in one of the tails in one of their jets, and the plane went down. No survivors. Real machinists and mechanical engineers rely heavily on the expertise of the credentialed lubrication expert’s advice. It’s not simply black oil versus honey colored oil. Lubes have dozens of characteristics, and hundreds of alternate characteristics when change via age, filtration, temp and environment. Although my credentials are not lubrication, I do rely on their expertise on lots of occasions. I’m certain real experts (like the SAE) in that field really enjoy when folks blow off their expertise. More often than not, it’s the folks that say, “Shrinks / MD’s / Attorneys / Brokers / Engineers / (or what ever) don’t know all that much … so here’s what I think”. Maybe bob the oil guy, like I said, has credentials. But if not? What ever floats your boat. Think what you want, but it really is science, believe it or not. Those of us with decades of training, and / or undergraduate and post graduate (that’s right, my credentials are not English and grammar) degrees find ourselves sometimes rolling our eyes when folks speak with no authority. Maybe bob the oil guy, like I said, has credentials. But if not? What ever floats your boat.

13. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silver squirell @ Aug 3 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]490261[/snapback]</div>
    I went ahead and went with synthetic with my first 5000 mile change, another nice thing about the Prius is that when you change your oil, you can get away with 3 quarts and it will take it about halfway up the safe zone on the dipstick. On my last car I would use one of the additives also at about 40,000 miles but after I read that the government has sued every last one of them for making false claims, I decided not to add them to my Prius.
    I prefer the synthetic because of the longer oil change cycles.
    By the way if you are used to changing your own oil the Prius is a very easy oil change (no crawling all they way under the car.) The Factory Filter is pretty tight though (I had to jab a screw driver in it to turn it). And it helps to jack the car an inch or two for the bucket to slide under easier. And one other tip is watch for the washer on the drain bolt it can easily fall off and get lost.

14. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Aug 3 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]490296[/snapback]</div>
    Hey we aren't talking about MD's, Attorney's, Brokers, etc. We are talking about maintenance that is easy enough for even your most basic average person here. If you go to any oil change place they don't have guys changing oil who are SAE certified, they have the kid who graduated from towel boy at the car wash. And if you think that you can't tell the difference if you were to cut open an oil filter and tell which one will stop more particles and which one is better constructed then perhaps you need to go back to school and get your Captain Obvious degree. I know plenty of people who know how to completely disassemble and rebuild an engine and transmission and diagnose a problem just by listening to a motor running who aren't SAE certified, just like I know of hackers that can take over your computer who aren't certified Computer Technicians. Your theory that someone must have a degree or certification to be knowledgeable is just plain short sided.