1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Found Source for Longer Rear Wiper Blade (NAPA 6020-59)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Goldenberg, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To improve snow cleaning, I replaced the rear wiper arm with one from a Mitsubishi Outlander. That arm now cleans down to the bottom edge of the window and leaves room for an 18" or 20" blade instead of the 16" blade that is standard. It is a new style blade so I need a source that can provide an 18" or 20" blade. The photo with the snow is the OEM arm and 16" blade. The second photo is the Outlander arm that now cleans right to the bottom of the window but only with the original 16" blade. An 18" or 20" inch blade will now fit AND clean a much bigger portion of the window.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most parts stores have a wide selection of blades in various lengths. Most have a ruler build into the display to measure the length of your old wiper blade. Replacement blades have the length printed on the packaging. Simply select the length you need.

If you're not sure, ask the sales folks. Most will be very helpful. I've had sales people grab a handful of various lengths and walk to my car to compare whether the new length would fit and not hit anything when wiping.

3. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks but the rear Prius arm and blades are new and different (not compatable). Regular blades do not fit. Auto stores will eventually carry this new style if and when they catch on but for now I need to find the OEM source and ask if they make or distribute 18" and 20" versions. If I see one on a new vehicle, I'll be able to get one from a new car dealer.

4. FarNorth

FarNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't understand your requirement. Assuming you didn't procure the rear wiper from a parked Mitsubishi Outlander sometime after midnight, contact the local Mitsubishi parts department for an appropriate 18 or 20 inch blade. Even if the arm normally takes a 16" blade, the parts "person" will probably have an idea of which larger blade will work.

If a local department can't supply it, use the web and phone to contact other Mitsubishi dealer parts stores and have them ship it to you.

5. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only compatible blade that Mitsubishi dealers stock is 14" long which just fits the Outlander. They order parts by VIN# and have no knowledge of a larger blade. I can get a 16" from Toyota since that is the official size for the Prius but an 18" or 20" blade of that unique style will clear a much larger portion of the Prius rear window which really matters when it's snowing here in CO. See posting with two photos above (or below).

6. Batavier

Batavier Member

Indeed, it's obvious Toyota forgot to change the rear wiper on the Prius. It's perfect for right hand drivers, not cleaning the rear window directly behind the driver.

In the next model they should swap the rear wiper to the right :) side of the car.

7. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Of course its far easier to briush the snow off the window before you get into the car with a brush. Its also safer as the snow wont fall of you car onto the road into the path of the following car, and more fuel efficient as snow weights a ton! :wink:

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is clear from your post that "Up a creek without a paddle." is nowhere near snow country! There are times when we get 1/4" of snow on the car in the time it takes to clean it off starting at the front and working back. AND, falling snow is just as happy to drop on top of moving vehicles as it is on those which are stationary. The wiper needs to clear as much of the rear window as possible. The Camry wagon had 2 rear wipers, maybe the 2005 Prius can as well.

9. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    I take it you have never been to Bavaria in deep winter! Having 6 inches of snow in a couple of hourse and temperatures under -20C during the day is quite normal -> Not so far away <- from where I live. :p

So Yes I do live in a snow area and yes I have had, shall we say "Fun" clearing snow from one eand of the car whilst the other is piling up again. Ive also seen, and nearly been involved in, accidents where several inches of snow have slide off the car in front of me, caused by drivers going fast on the Autobahn and the (by now melting) snow flying of the car into my windscreen.

Out here its illegal to drive with just a hole in the snow (or ice) on a window, but its often ignored. :x

Maybe you dont know, or understand "Up a creek without a paddle" so just for you I will change it. :roll:

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True Victor, I have only been in Munchen once, at the end of September about 15 years ago. I have a 'Bim bam' clock on my wall I purchased in Munchen. No snow on that trip. No sympathy for the -20C though :) -30C here is not at all uncommon in January and February.

I don't disagree with you regarding the need to get off as much as possible before driving :) I have seen large sheets of ice fly off cars, and more scary - large semi trailers (not that they could clean them anyway). My comment was due to the fact that your original post seemed to suggest that if people would clean off the car before driving, the effectiveness of the rear wiper wasn't all that important.
    Danke Victor. Given that "Up a creek without a paddle" is not a specific location but a state of distress, it was a bit hard to guess your knowledge of driving in snow! It is nice to know where you are, really and thanks for the picture :)

11. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Your weclome Bruce, but going back to topic, why cant you get a blade from Mitsubishi or a 3rd party for Mitsubishi ? I find it difficult to accept you must have a VIN. You could say its for a car at work and you dont have the VIN or say its for a mod?

P.S. The coldest I have ever had here was -40C during the nights about 7 years ago. I hope it was a once off. One of my concerns with the Prius is how good the heater is in winter, or maybe I will need an extra one plugged into the accessory outlet?

12. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a very simple question. Where can I buy an 18" or 20" rear wiper blade that is compatible with the rear arm of a 2004 Prius or Mitsubishi Outlande? Toyota dealers carry only 16" blades, Mitsubishi dealers carry only has 14" blades.
    Does anyone know where I can buy an 18" or 20" blade that is compatible with the new style blades of the 2004 Prius or Outlander?

13. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    Steve, as you said in the first post, you have a Mitsubishi arm, so you wont find a Prius blade to fit. Maybe you should aproach the problem another way. Find and arm and blade set that is large enough to do what you want. If you cant find the 18" blade easily now, what will you do later when you need to replace it?

What about other MRT arms? Maybe from the RAV4, Land Criuser or Hi-Lux? Otherwise goto a local parts dealer and with the mearurments and see whats available.

14. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Victor: The Prius and Outlander blades are compatible and interchangeble. They're just not long enough for the new, perfectly fitting, rear wiper arm that now cleans the entire bottom edge of the rear window. Look at the photos above and you will agree that the Outlander arm is better shaped for the Prius rear window. Not only does it have the perfect angle, it permits a longer blade. (I looked at different rear wiper arms for weeks before finding the perfect one (same brand) on an Outlander.)

15. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll try to describe what I'm looking for one more time.
    The rear blade and wiper arm on my 2004 Prius didn't do the job with snow. I found a compatible arm and am now looking for a compatible 18" or 20" blade. It is a new style blade that is not yet carried by auto supplies stores. Toyota only has them in the same 16" lengths. Mitsubishi only has them as 14" blades. I have attached a close up of the new style arm where the new style blade gets attached. If you know where I can find a compatible 18" or 20" blade please let me know. It might be from another new Japanese car dealer or some other source.

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

have you tried going to the Trico and see if they have any ideas on this
    www.tricoproducts.com.
    I saw my first Mitzi Outlander today and see what you mean, but the wiper arm on the Prius and Outlander are a new breed of wiper. Trico is probably the largest manufacture of wiper blades in the world.

17. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I'm interested in converting the wiper blade as well. Did you just order the wiper arm from Mitsubishi? If so what is the part number? Have you been successful in locating a longer length wiper blade?

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Steve, I would be very interested in improving the rear wiper. But here's what I can't figure out.

In comparing the first couple pictures from this thread:

The second wiper starts in the "down" position and comes up whereas the standard Prius wiper starts "up" and wipes down. How can you get a wiper blade to do this without changing the motor? The first thing the standard wiper will do when turned on is rotate clockwise which would push the new wiper somewhere below the spoiler.

19. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Need Source for Longer Rear Wiper Blade

The Mitsubishi Outlander wiper arm part number is #MR971507 ($35)
    I had to furnish a VIN number to the parts department which I just copied from a similar Outlander in their showroom.
    Trico refused to help or get involved but I did buy a 20" NAPA Winter Teflon blade (made by Trico) #60-2059 ($13)

I bought a stainless steel bolt and teflon/SS locknut at the hardware store. The diameter was just a little bigger than what would slide through the new arm but I was able to screw it through easily enough. I also had to drill and file the new wiper blade to fit the new bolt but everything worked out OK and although not the perfect wiper, it's much better than before. I painted the new bolt and nut black after I was done. The blade is only 2" longer at each end but the area now being wiped is in a much better position.

No change was made to the wiper motor. I just made sure that the wiper arm was repositioned to stop at the lower edge of the glass at the end of the stroke, before retightening that nut. I originally needed a puller to get the old arm off the motor shaft the first time.

All the photos and part numbers are on this site somewhere but I'll put a few up with this. You can blow them up or e-mail me for the full size images. [email protected]

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nice!

The OEM arm angles to the left, thusly wiping left side of the window at the expense of not reaching the more critical bottom. The Mitsubishi arm angles to the right, thusly wiping the bottom of the window and not the left side.

Three questions:

Your last picture looks like the blade will scrape the non-glass top of the hatch, does it and how long is it?

Does the right leaning arm, when stored, interfere with the view out the back more than the left leaning arm? (no political connotations here)

Is the new arm hinged to facilitate glass cleaning better than the OEM?

Thanks.