1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Four Indicators at once: Hybrid System, Malfunction, Slip, and Brake System

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusV13, Jul 27, 2018.

1. PriusV13

PriusV13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all, I'm new here. Sorry for only just now showing up when something is wrong. I have had my Prius for about a couple months now at this point.

I was driving home from work today and as I was almost home something alarming happened. I was traveling around 40mph, the speed limit on the road I was on, and 4 indicators came on at once and I felt the accelerator stop working. It happened right when I was about to make a sudden lane change to the left to move around a slow driver (it was perhaps more sudden then I would normally drive but wasn't violent or anything). As soon as the indicators came on and I felt that the gas pedal wasn't working I turned back to stay in my lane. Luckily no one was behind me so I was able put on my emergency lights, to slow to a stop, turn off my vehicle, and restart it. The lights remained on and in the very short trip home I feel like the RPM's were particularly high, like it was on 1st gear too long, then 2nd gear too long. I didn't exceed 30 and got on a 25mph road the rest of the way home. (This occurred a mile from my house or less.)

I turned my car on about an hour after arriving home to see if the indicators were still showing and they were.

The indicators showing are:

-Hybrid System Warning
    -Malfunction Indicator (Check Engine)
    -Slip Indicator
    -Brake System

I saw similar threads here, but none with the exact four indicators I had so I thought I would post it in the chance that someone has insights on what this combination might point to.

My vehicle has 95,633 miles on it. I just bought it used.

It is a 2013 Prius V 5.

Thank you so much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sorry for your trouble, you will need to have the trouble codes read. where did you buy your prius? is there any warranty?

3. PriusV13

PriusV13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for your response. No warranty. I bought from a used car dealership. I am planning to get the codes read today and to take it in to a shop Monday. Do you think I should have the vehicle towed rather than driving to these locations?

4. PriusV13

PriusV13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Okay so Autozone did an Error Code Read and specified that it was a partial read related to the check engine light. Here are the results:

P0AIA: Generator Control Module
    P0A7A: Generator Inverter Performance
    P0A94: DC/DC Converter Performance

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was the TSB recall to re-flash the IPM done?

SUMMARY:
    Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 Prius V vehicles manufactured August 22, 2011, to June 30, 2014. A component within the hybrid inverter assembly may overheat, causing the hybrid system to reduce output power allowing the vehicle to only drive a short distance. In some circumstances, the hybrid system may shut down causing the vehicle to stop while being driven.
    CONSEQUENCE:
    The vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. The hybrid system could also shut down completely resulting in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
    REMEDY:
    Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will update the software for the motor/generator control electronic control unti (ECU) and the hybrid control ECU, free of charge. The recall began on July 30, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371.

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If no warranty, you have a heavy bill already. Your inverter has to be completely replaced with a new one, or get a used one from a salvage yard.

7. PriusV13

PriusV13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for that information Air Boss! I will be contacting Toyota.

I hope it isn't too bad but thanks for your honesty. I have been readying myself for a heavy bill.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Warranty status is not clear. If the circa 2015 TSB reflash was done, the affected components were granted an extended warranty.

9. NRoth

NRoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I just had the same problem yesterday. Did you fix the car? What had to be fixed/replaced?

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was the inverter/motor generator software reflash TSB done?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you read the trouble codes, and find you had the same three codes as in post #4 of this thread?

If not, there is no reason for anyone to think you had the "same problem". Those lights can be on for a couple hundred different reasons. (In many cases, it will be because one ECU has reported some problem, and other ECUs are reporting "we heard about that problem"; the ECUs talk to each other.)

If you haven't read the trouble codes yet, please post an update when you have (on this thread if they turn out to be exactly the same as the ones in this thread; otherwise could be better to start a new thread). Then we'll be better able to help.