1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fox News is un-American

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sun__Tzu, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Is anyone else struck by how un-American Fox News is? I don't mean un-American in the sense that they suck (which they do), but the fact that they're not an American company.

NBC is owned by GE, founded by Thomas Edison. ABC is owned by Disney, another all-American company. And CBS is owned by Viacom (which I assume is American; they were formerly Westinghouse).

Fox is owned by an Australian media mogul. Why isn't this discussed more? I just find it supremely ironic that (in my opinion), the Fox News crowd tends to be more xenophobic than the general population.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I avoid the Fox News network like the plague, but it's an informed revulsion.

There's a local Everett lunch place that makes Mighty Good pastrami sandwiches. But the owner has Fox News on all the time, and so I watch it when I'm there.

It's as jingoistic and flag-wrapped as others have mentioned; what I'm surprised about is how much tabloid news is on it. Serial murders and celebrity scandals seem to take up as much time as chest-thumping about the "war on terror".

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am no fan of Fox News. However, just like Rupert Murdoch, I am a naturalized American citizen. I find your post offensive. Americans by choice are not second class citizens.

4. frbill

frbill New Member

I watch Fox/ CNN / MSNBC and ocassionally network news. The only one that to me does a balanced job of presenting the news and allowing me to decide is Fox. All networks have a slant but at least Fox is honest about theirs. I will tune out the serial murders and tabloid news( Fits the Murdoch Model of Journalism e.g. NY Post). I find that somewhere in the middle of all these sources I find the truth. And to be honest I prefer an organization that is not afraid to allow their staff to show personal opinions and beliefs in context of the current news. To each their own but lets avoid the invective, it does not lead to constructive debate.

Peace,

Fr. Bill Kessler

5. jchu

jchu New Member

"Balanced" and "Slant" seems contradictory in describing a single organization, honest about the slant or not. My, albeit limited, observation of Fox News is that they specialize in invective rather than constructive debate.

Jon

P.S. Have done what Bill60546 mentions below. And I agree, it is a truly enlightening experience.

6. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    News

As a matter of perspective, have you ever watched a non-American news broadcast? Would recommend that for those who have access (some PBS stations for example) try watching the BBC World News and take special notice of American related stories. Please note how the story is introduced, facts portrayed and summarized. Then, after a week or so, switch back to your previous preferred news provider. The difference is astounding.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I avoid Fox News both national news and the local venue. However, my health club has it going 24/7 and I end up catching something. Sometimes I'm ticked by their reporting, sometimes I find something I enjoy.

I gotta say, though, I'm not quite sure how to take your quote there, Padre. The fact that they are slanted and up front about it - especially after they used to deny all slantness - upsets me only more. For someone to come out and vehemently deny something - having sex with an intern, for example - and then to turn around and admit that they actually are guilty doesn't remove the guilt of the crime any more than it makes it right. Nor does it make them a more moral individual because they at least admitted their guilt (after initially denying it). If Fox News is slanted, they are slanted. If they are saying that they are slanted, they are just one more voice in the crowd.

And if debating with a priest is wrong, then ignosco mihi abbas, solito pecco.

8. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't watch Fox News that much so please excuse my ignorance but where does the admitted slant come in? At least on the Fox website the slogan is "We Report. You Decide" which doesn't sound like intentional slant. Now of course anything in the Opinion area or Syndicated Columnists is going to be slanted but that's true with any network.

By the way, I find the Naked News to be refreshingly honest -- they never have anything up their sleeves! :clap:

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

wanna see who's biased on the news? Do a search today to see what's a bigger headline - the Clinton guy taking a memo from the archives, or Bill Frist's sudden flip flop on gay marriage. I promise even CNN is covering more about possible scandal with Clinton people than a Republican playing the field for votes.

-m.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: News

You can listen to a variety of BBC programs over the internet from this page. A google search will get you other foreign shortwave broadcasters available via streaming audio.

BTW, in bad weather I jog at the gym, where I watch a row of TVs without the sound. You need a radio to tune in the sound, and I prefer my MP3 player or silence. Thus I often see Fox and MSNBC, not to mention MTV and local stations. I'd rather shovel manure back at the dairy farm than listen to any of them, though. And I'd no sooner have a TV in my house than a cow. They both give you basically the same thing, just that it comes out the front of the TV but the back of the cow.

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Re: News

Absolutely agree. BBC/PBS tends to be my main source of reporting these days (augmented by doses of The Economist/The New Yorker/Google News, properly filtered).

When it comes to TV news (including local news), I'm with you 100%; but I'd still still say that there are a few things worth watching, entertainment-wise and education-wise, on TV. (Though it's diminishing, thanks to the onslaught of "Reality TV" :pukeright:) Saw a special on deep-water exploration on the Discovery Channel the other night -- fascinating!

12. rflagg

rflagg Member

While I do enjoy way too much tv - I do tend to agree to a point with daniel - I mean, without tv I'd have much much more time to read all those great books out there.

-m.

13. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I didn't mean to offend anyone, but I think you missed the word "ironic" in my post. My parents are both naturalized citizens, and of course, I am not a moron: a citizen is a citizen regardless of where they were born.

But there are conservatives, led by Fox News and the Murdoch empire, who call John Kerry "French," and make repeated attempts to paint him as some sort of foreigner. Please oh please tell me you see the ironies here. In my mind (and of course, I have no proof of this), the same morons who renamed french fries "Freedom Fries" are the same kind of people who would watch Fox News. To have this level of xenophobia formented by someone who, by his _own_ definition is a "foreigner"...

begin irony()
    irony()
    end

14. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    irony

What I find the ultimate irony is the reporter from Detroit calling GM's Yukon and Suburban "full blown hybrids" and that Ford isnt being given credit for its "sophisticated" hybrid.

No matter one's view point, please remember to vote!

15. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I'm not sure I was entirely clear on my point, so let me try putting it another way:
    if, say, CNN was founded, owned and run by a foreign-born, naturalized US citizen, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a Fox headline along the lines of: "CNN is un-American; founder _____ is really a citizen of _____"

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sun__Tzu,

I accept you explanation. You could have articulated your position more clearly in your original post.

I cannot stand Fox News and my wife knows enough to change channels when I am around. Unfortunately, most of the time she'll switch to watch Dennis Miller on CNBC, and I find him as bad or worse that most of Fox' personalities.

Rupert Murdoch, by the way, became a naturalized American citizen in 1985 in order to be able to buy and control U.S. television stations.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok whatever!

i cant see how anyone can shoot down Fox then have the balls to praise ANY other american news program. they all have their agendas and they dont do a very convincing job of hiding it.

Bill i agree with you completely in that non american news seems to be much more unbiased. after all, it was the British press that exposed much of the mis-imformation from the Iraqi conflict (no it wasnt Michael Moore.)

i frequently catch parts of the Canadian news and BBC along with english versions of the news in China and Japan and i found myself feeling almost a sense of shock at the lack of emotion and opinion at which these newscasts presented the news. that told me that i had become a bit numb to the spin doctoring american newscasts have spoon fed me over the years.

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If we're talking exclusively about the news programs, I have to agree with everyone here, whatever your position is. Just because I like to agree with people. :)

However, other than news, Fox is responsible for The Simpsons, Futurama, Greg the Bunny, Malcom in the Middle, and I'm sure many others that I am currently forgetting.

So if Rupert is in any way responsible for the millions of laughs brought to the faces of Americans on a weekly basis, then I have to say that he's not ALL bad.

(I'm intentionally leaving out all the reality crap since I turn from it as quickly as I would from the business end of Daniel's cow.)

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i truely believe that Fox is the chief reason that the quality of TV has actually increased. (oh course, it couldnt have gotten worse!!)

they rewrote the TV formula and forced the 3 networks to revamp their line ups also. now this happened so long ago, that all 3 networks claim that their new direction was their idea.

well that is total bull. the fact is, Fox went from nothing the a major share of the TV audience in near record time while only in selected markets. Fox basically scared the Sh** out of the 3 networks.

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I personally get all of my news from the Internet, from unbiased sources and watch news tv mainly for entertainment.

A study showed that over 70% of people under 30 get most of their television news from The Daily Show - well, count me as part of that %. I also watch Hardball because while I know that Chris Matthews is a liberal, I believe he does a good job of harassing everyone and putting the heat on evenly.

I do laugh everytime I watch this trailer, though:

Outfoxed: Ruper Murdoch's War on Journalism

http://http.dvlabs.com/carolina/Outfxd2/Tr...iler_A(Med).mov