1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fox News scripted?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Nov 15, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Memo from Fox News VP John Moody, 11/9/06:

"...let's be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents, who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled Congress"

Followed hours later with just such a report from Martha MacCallum on Fox News which said:

"Some reports of cheering in the streets on the behalf of the supporters of the insurgency in Iraq, that they're very pleased with the way things are going here and also with the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2006/11/14/f...o-_n_34128.html and reported on Countdown tonight.

View MacCallum report here: http://www.newshounds.us/2006/11/15/live_d...x_news_memo.php

Coincidence?

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You call THAT proof? :rolleyes:

Being “on the lookout†for something is a far cry from inventing the news . . . for instance . . . CBS and the faked Bush military service records.

Being “on the lookout†for something, looking ahead, expecting something to happen . . . THAT is being pragmatic! . . . and it's the way to be the best in your industry and kick your competition's butt.

Being “on the lookout†for something and saying, “let's not report this if it happens†would be the type of smoking gun you seem to be so desperate to find.

Nice try Dragonfly, but I think your bias is clouding your judgment of what constitutes proof and faux. But that doesn't surprise me about you . . . too blind to see the truth for what it is. :p

3. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]350041[/snapback]</div>
    I think the givaway is "the Iraqi insurgents, who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled Congress". That doesn't sound like reporting of news facts to me.

Anyway, if I were a muslim extremist in Iraq, I would every day burn a candle for Bush and what he has achieved in that country. He's the man! :D

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 16 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]350044[/snapback]</div>
    It wasn't the reporting of news . . it was a freakin' internal memo! <_<

So, are you trying to say that the "the Iraqi insurgents, who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled Congress" part of the memo is the part that Dragonfly is trying to point out as the proof of Fox News telling lies?

Funny how a bunch of Iraqi Insurgents quickly complied with the Fox News request for those statements. :lol:

Iraqi insurgents: GOP losses 'a great victory for Iraqi resistance'

(CNN) -- The Islamic Army in Iraq on Thursday called the Republican losses in the U.S. midterm elections that turned the political tide in favor of Democrats "a great victory for the Iraqi resistance."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/11/09...sday/index.html

So, should we also label this as proof that CNN reports faux news too???? :p :lol:

I wonder if CNN sent its reporters a “be on the lookout†memo too . . . or did they just more fairly and balanced-ly stumble upon the story? :rolleyes:

You people are so completely biased that even glaring truths look like a lie. :rolleyes:

Vtie, It's a good thing you aren't a reporter if “That doesn't sound like reporting of news facts to [you].†I wonder what 'truthful' facts you would have invented in order to report the 'real' news story that apparently CNN and Fox both got wrong. :eek:

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

One guy declaring the GOP losses a victory does not constitute "cheering in the streets". CNN provided a quote from a named source. That is actual reporting. The FOX report is unsubstantiated and clearly biased towards the result the VP was after. That is scripting... or as you put it, inventing the news.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 05:45 AM) [snapback]350048[/snapback]</div>
    If the memo just said. "let's be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents", there'd be no bias. All news organizations should have been doing that. Adding who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled Congress makes the memo partisan and gives implicit instruction on what kind of message Mr. Moody wants his news team to look for.

If a CNN memo were discovered that implied a bias against Pres. Bush, they'd be pilloried for a liberal bias and there's be howls calling for the memo writer's resignation.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

7. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]350048[/snapback]</div>
    How lame...

Where did I claim that they are telling lies? This has nothing to do with lies. There is another word for this: preoccupation. Anticipating something, and then selectively looking for facts that fit well into someone's view. Not the state of mind a good news station should have. They should be on the outlook for any kind of news. Otherways, you are biased. Can I make it any more obvious to you?

Two news stations can cover the same event, tell nothing but the truth, and yet give a totally different impression of that event. The trick is to tell different parts of the truth.

And of course the insurgents in Iraq are cheering the fact that they influenced the U.S. elections. But the fun point is that Bush created those insurgents. You guys are doing a great job. I can't wait to see how this massive piece of $hit is going to evolve.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a question for you... can you name a single major media news source that isn't biased? Fox? CNN? ABC, NBC, CBS? They're all biased, even the newspapers are biased. It's a fact of life. The only way around it is to listen to multiple sources, hear both sides of it, and form your own opinion.

9. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 16 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]350179[/snapback]</div>

I am!

I'm the only news source that isn't biased. :p

Of course all news sources are biased. But doesn't happen every day that they say it themselves...

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 16 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]350169[/snapback]</div>
    Right here (I added bold for emphasis) . . .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 16 2006, 01:28 AM) [snapback]350044[/snapback]</div>
    . . . you do read and comprehend what you write don't you???
    If they aren't reporting "news facts" then they are reporting "news fiction" - which would be lying!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 16 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]350169[/snapback]</div>
    Yet, somehow, Fox News sending a memo to its reporters to be on the lookout for, and reporting this very timely and very expected (by even you) event is somehow proof of a bias or lying??? Even though CNN did the exact same reporting??? BS! :angry:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Nov 16 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]350181[/snapback]</div>
    I couldn't have said it better myself . . . but . . . Fox News didn't "say" or demonstrate that they are lying or even biased by the leak of this memo. Only the liberal Fox News haters are saying that by trying to pass this memo off as more than it is.
    And yet, you are more than happy to join in with their "Fox is Faux" chorus. (Read the topic title the OP used at the top of this string) <_< :rolleyes:

Well, maybe you can give us an update from the Belgium front. :huh:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...ont/map/be.html

This is not a war which was started by President Bush. The radical Islamists had been at this long before he was ever elected President of the United States. Iraq and Afghanistan are just the first major fronts for them to rally the troops and confront the US military head on.
    Has the war intensified? YES. If it hadn't, that just means the West is willing to give up without a fight. Appeasement with these people will not work. They either want you converted or dead.

So what are you going to do? Appease?

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]350268[/snapback]</div>
    I have no issue with Fox reporting the reactions. What I take issue with is the memo from Mr. Moody to his news team.

As I said earlier, if the memo just said. "let's be on the lookout for any statements from the Iraqi insurgents", there'd be no bias. All news organizations should have been doing that. Adding who must be thrilled at the prospect of a Dem-controlled Congress makes the memo partisan and gives implicit instruction on what kind of message Mr. Moody wants his news team to look for. And, possibly, what kind of spin he expects from his news team.

What would you say if a CNN memo were discovered that implied a bias against Pres. Bush or the Republicans? I know many would pillory them for their liberal bias and there'd be howls calling for the memo writer's resignation.

Can you see that Mr. Moody was injecting his opinion into his instructions? For a network that claims to be "Fair and Balanced", that's not exactly the way to go about it.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov, 02:12 PM) [snapback]350268[/snapback]</div>
    Excuse me, but NO, it was NOT the exact same reporting. There are 2 important differences:

(1) CNN's report was an interview with 1 person; FOX's claim was that there was dancing in the streets!!!!
    (2) CNN's report was backed up with a source. FOX's was not.

What the freak are you talking about? If Bush didn't start this war, do tell: Who did?

13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 03:40 AM) [snapback]350041[/snapback]</div>
    The Bush documents you refer to have never been proven to be faked.On the contrary, the right wing blogs which disputed the "superscript" type and spacing ,were using false information.
    I would think that 99% of the media watching public believes the documents were proven to have been forged .
    So youre not the only one who is misinformed.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/12/11/15636/444

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 16 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]350430[/snapback]</div>
    We are talking journalistic integrity here . . . not whether or not one can prove a negative.

Nice link there there mojo :rolleyes: . . . a link to a long question and answer session with Mary (I was fired from CBS News) Mapes . . . who just so happens to be hawking her book for only $24.95. :mellow:

Care to point out the relevant “proof.†:huh:

How about this . . .

"Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are authentic, which is the only acceptable journalistic standard to justify using them in the report," said the statement by CBS News President Andrew Heyward. "We should not have used them. That was a mistake, which we deeply regret.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/21/...ain644719.shtml

"which-is-the-only-acceptable-journalistic-standard"
    PERIOD!!!! :p
    Coming clean totally went against the CBS bias, but for that, I applaud them . . .
    Tried as hard as they could, they couldn't prove a positive.

15. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]350626[/snapback]</div>
    I followed your link to CBS, looking for something I remember from that incident that gets deleted from most conversations of that boondogle SPE. And sure enough, I found it, from the same article is this (bolding mine):

Yes, that document was false, but the content was accurate. Now I'm sure you'll notice, this quote also contains a link, so to be fair, it is this: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/15/...ain643768.shtml and from that article is this (again, bolding is mine):

So, granted, what you believe of this story is what probably 95% believe, important facts are usually left out, why? Perhaps because CBS is actually owned by Time Warner, not what you would consider a bastion of the left. By the way, I would encourage everyone to read both links, there are some good insights there.

16. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]350268[/snapback]</div>
    Of course this is not just "reporting news facts". It's being on the lookout for some news facts that fit in a certain view, and reporting those. If you don't see the difference, what else can I say?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 16 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]350268[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, Fox is faux. As is just about any news station. but it's always funny when a memo like this sums it up so nicely.

:D :D :D
    Jezus man, if you believe all this kind of stuff, I begin to understand where your narrow tunnel vision on the world comes from. That piece of report doesn't even come close to objective news reporting. What they did is only take a few isolated facts out of their context, and blow them totally out of proportion, and link everything to Al Qaeda. "The aftermath of 9/11" did not all all "intensify hostility towards Muslims in Belgium". And that murdering of a teacher who incidentally was Moroccan had nothing to do with that.

Compared to that, Fox's memo is a masterpiece of objective news gathering. Believe me, we have had issues with Muslims long before you, and we know how to deal with them. I can walk at 12pm in streets in my city where 95% are muslim, without any problem.
    Get a life. Stop scaring the cr@p out of yourself. Read all that garbage with a healthy dosis of scepticism.

Guess what? There even were allies at one time! Just like Pakistan these days...

If you really believe this, you totally lost any touch with reality. Obviously, you have been reading certain kinds of information sources for a long time, and you allowed them to scare the cr@p out of you. I can only recommend you to visit some places (why not start with Morocco? Marrakech is a great city). Maybe you will discover that the Earth is a great place to live!

P.S. I'm sorry, but I won't be able to read your educated reply on this. I'm off for a trip to Taiwan.

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the risk of disrupting this escalating arguement I'd like to comment.

I think there's little arguement that Fox gives a very right wing slant to it's reporting.

The memo, IMO, is simply supporting evidence that the powers that be at FoxNews encourage that slant by means of selectively choosing the type of news to report.

Something similar may be done at CNN for all I know.

IMO this behavior is completely unrelated to the possibly forged memo during the CBS incident. If true that's truely fraudulent and negligent reporting.

I think selectively choosing what portions of the overall truth to report can lead to fraudulent reporting. But, as far as I'm concerned Fox News doesn't do that. I get pissed off at what they leave out and how they selectively choose to give only the Right Wing side and cut off the rare democrat or bring in some duffus that couldn't talk his way out of a paper bag as the 'democratic representative'!

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 17 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]350932[/snapback]</div>
    Heres an example of Fox News distortion.
    http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0807-05.htm

20. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Nov 17 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]350988[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, ok, fine. I'm sure the Foxaholics can provide similar links to "CNN Distortions".

History and news are not cut and dried facts alone. They're translated through the individuals reporting. Those individuals may have been selected for their looks (Fox News rules the roost there!), their experience, or their unique point of view. I think Fox has a large proportion of people who's point of view is right leaning and it seems that the network encourages continued rightward leaning.

IMO (YMMV), CNN gives a relatively balanced perspective. There are some of the individuals who clearly are left wingers, but they've got one or two right-wing nut-jobs there too.

But my opinion is slanted by my own point of view. I tend to view things in my liberal leaning perspective, thus stories with a slight left wing or slant will seem more centered. Likewise the Fox News viewers....many lean far right, so a mildly right-wing slant will seem extreme to us libs, and "Fair and Balanced" to those who lean far right.