1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frame rail airbag sensor wiring/computer problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by thuston, Mar 14, 2009.

1. thuston

thuston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought a salvaged 2008 Prius. Here is a little recap of what has happened and been replaced.

B1207 Smart ECU stop (replace ECU)
    P0010 Camshaft position "A" actuator circuit (repaired wiring and replaced solenoid)

C2318 low voltage error Power supply - (replaced battery)
    B1200 MPX body ECU stop (no repair)
    B1271 combination meter ECU communication stop (replace combination ECU)
    P3107 air bag ECU communication malfunction. (replace air bag ECU)

After the dealer replaced these computers, they were still having problems. They asked what collision repairs were done to the vehicle. We told them that a frame rail air bag sensor was replaced and since the connector was damaged, it was replaced with one from recycled from another Toyota. When they heard that, they wanted to replace the whole wiring harness because they said the wires couldn't be spliced. That is when they said there was a loss of communication with an air bag module. Since the wiring harness is $5,000 plus installation, I told them I would pick up the car and decide later what I was going to do. After calling other repair shops, everyone I talk to said there is no problem splicing the connector into the air bag wiring harness. I also asked the dealer to send me a list of codes the car was showing after the computers were changed. They didn't give me codes, but did supply this explaination.

Loss of communication with air bag module. Cannot clear other codes until air bag sensor malfunction is repaired.
    Cannot program inclination sensor until master warning light code is cleared. New wiring harness required.

The dealer said there was a short to ground in the right side airbag sensor wiring. I checked the wiring with an ohm meter on both right and left rail airbag sensors. The left side has 2 wires, a white and a yellow. The white goes to ground, the yellow has no continuity to ground. When I check the right side there is a white and a black wire. The white reads a resistance of .052 ohms and the black goes to ground. It seems the white wires are ground, but this one is not acting like it. Does anyone know if this sounds like a wiring problem or is it some sort of computer issue?
    Thanks,
    Terry

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Terry,

I suggest that you download the electrical wiring diagram for your model year from techinfo.toyota.com but in an effort to help you assess the problem I've attached a few relevant pages from the 2006 EWD. Note that in this diagram, the side airbag sensors have black and white colored wires.

Also note that the wires run to the SRS ECU. If you want to determine whether the problem is the wiring harness or the ECU, then you would have to measure resistances at the appropriate ECU wiring harness connector pins to see if they differ from what you measure at the sensors. If no difference, then the problem is at the ECU. If a difference, then the wiring harness is damaged.

I hope that you are using a digital multimeter for your resistance checks. If you are using an inexpensive VOM, the battery current used for resistance checks may damage delicate electronics.

Attached Files:

3. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also you need a wiring diagram to check out everything, where exactly was it hit?

mine luckily didnt have issues with the airbag connectors, i just had to replace airbag sensors and SRS ecu

4. thuston

thuston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The multimeter is not real expensive, but has a digital readout. How do I know if it is ok to use?

I will download the wiring diagram and other stuff from that website. Thanks!

I was talking to a buddy (heavy duty mechanic), he has a snap-on tool that can find shorts to ground, open circuits etc. Do you think this could help in this case, or could it damage the ecu if it sends power down the wire?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Terry,

Yes, your meter should be OK to use. I don't know how the Snap-on tool works so I can't say whether this will help or harm.

Regarding the varying resistances that you've noted, I suppose you could disconnect the wiring harness connector from the SRS ECU and the connectors leading to the sensors. If you measure resistance from the sensor connector pins to ground I'd expect an infinite resistance. If you measure some finite resistance this would imply damage to the wiring harness.

If you can determine which pins on the SRS wiring harness connector correspond to the sensors, then measure resistance from one connector to the other to see if the wire in between is sound; resistance should be very close to zero. If not, again this implies wiring harness damage.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    are all the other airbag modules unplugged? they need to all be unplugged before you start testing anything in the airbag system. an ohmmeter testing resistance puts a current into the airbag wire. this is dangerous. and you can burn a computer doing this. that's why the dealership will not test wiring and wants to replace- you can if you make absolutely damned sure EVERYTHING- computers, modules, sensors are all unplugged.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Terry

I don't think you can do a Techinfo subscription from Canada. I tried several years ago, it refused to process my Canadian credit card

I went with the All Data subscription instead

Since you're on your own with this one, I suggest a good Digital Multi Meter, eg a Fluke with very high impedance. The FSM and the All Data source have correct troubleshooting procedures

Never, ever check electrical wire resistance with electronics still hooked up, especially airbag modules. You can fry the electronics, and pop the airbags.

jay

8. thuston

thuston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good to know all this. Should have checked here before I got in there testing stuff.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Without a manual I am just guessing here (yup, I am also in Canada and can't download from techinfo - and I'm NOT paying Toyota Canada $400+ for manuals!!!).

Usually pyro circuits are NOT grounded, either side. This is to prevent RF from setting them off. They are "twisted pairs", in which induced voltages cancel. This should tell you, from the measurements you have already made, which wire is shorted.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that Terry was measuring resistance on the sensor wiring that tells the SRS ECU when to fire the airbag; not on the wiring that leads to the airbags. The repair manual says: Use a volt/ohmmeter with high impedance (10 k ohms/V minimum) for troubleshooting electrical circuits of the system.

Fluke for example, rates ohmmeter impedance at 50M ohms. Here's the spec sheet for the current version of one of the Fluke DMMs that I own:
    Fluke 80 Series V Digital Multimeters)

I would expect any reasonable digital multimeter to have ohmmeter impedance measured in the millions of ohms so the OP should be OK. However I agree that the wiring leading to the airbags should be treated with caution, as no one needs to have an airbag blow up in his/her face.

I believe that Terry indicated that the SRS ECU was replaced. Since wiring harness damage is suspected, there's more reason to disconnect the connectors on the ECU end and the sensor end of the wiring harness and use the ohmmeter to measure continuity and ensure no shorts to the body. Then there's no risk in damaging the ECU or triggering any of the airbags.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    universally, it is safe practice to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disconnect EVERYTHING in the airbag/srs system prior to doing ANY diagnostics of wiring. people get killed by airbags blowing up on them during repair. techs are deadly serious about this stuff when they approach it. there is no other way to do this, and no excuses. you ALWAYS err on the side of extreme caution when the alternative can flat out get you killed.

12. thuston

thuston New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! What a great forum! How bout I clean up my garage, stock the fridge, hang the big screen on the front wall and y'all come over this weekend:)

I am going to try again to get ahold of the folks from Alldata. Yes, I was testing the wires that run to the framerail airbag sensor.

I will find the location of the SRS ECU and unhook it before I do any more testing. I checked the wiring that runs from the sensor, then under the ws washer bottle and goes in behind the right fender. It was good as far back as I could see. I noticed there was a small pinch on one of the ws washer lines. I think it might be prudent to take the fender off, as it was replaced before I got the car and I should make sure the wiring is good back there. Thanks for the caution Galaxee! Idid unhook the battery last time, but it is a good idea to unhook from the ecu. What an education I am getting:)

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Honestly, I don't like "education" like that, as it hits my pocketbook too deeply. I'd probably just consider the car Tango Uniform and push it off a cliff ...