1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free gift card from Hyundai if you take a test drive

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Feb 18, 2018.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    orenji and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :)I better not, the last time I test drove one I bought it.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  4. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well took my test Drive of the Plug In Hybrid Ionic. Lets just say that sales guy at the dealer I visited in SoCal had the worst customer care I have ever experienced in all my years of shopping for a car. The sales guy greeted us took us to the car to look at and drive, told him we had the coupons to get the $40.00 gift cards. He shortly turned his friendliness to muttering under his breath and rolling his eyes. I told him that he did not want to help, we could go to another dealer, he asked if wanted another sales guy. I did.

New sales guy much nicer. But this experience had placed a negative mark in my mind to purchase any Hyundai.

Ionic seems like a very nice car, but if their dealer network is this bad, I will not even think of buying one.

#6 orenji, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Mendel Leisk, RCO, kenoarto and 2 others like this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First impressions.

Mendel Leisk and orenji like this.
  8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for pointing out the typo....but if your trying to be funny..........:(

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The coupon is dealer specific based on your zip code. I'll have to take a shower upon my return from the dealer before I'll feel clean again but at least I'll be able to screw a $40 gift card out of them.

My reply to orenji's salesman: Then just give me the gift card and we'll save time for everyone.

Some salesmen will go through with the test drive, others will go straight to the gift card. Doesn't really matter to me as I'm not buying a car anyway.

RCO and orenji like this.
  10. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually it's not dealer specific to zip code. I test drove 60 miles from my home.

#10 orenji, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  11. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm definitely not in the market, especially after I saw the sticker for the one Ioniq hybrid at the dealer near me.

First, the car seems way overpriced. It's a Hyundai. Where do they get off charging ~$33K? Leads me to think there's a lot of built in cost for their "lifetime battery warranty", and the other 2 warranties shown on the sticker.

Second, why is the bulk of the TSS-P equivalent part of a $3K option package? It doesn't even have HUD! That's definitely a deal breaker for me.

There are no incentives for this puppy.

I paid $26K with tax for my Prius, after all was said and done.

I'm going to take my $40 and run.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Attached Files:

RCO likes this.
  12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The one I drove today was priced at $26,000. It was well equipped. The fact of the matter is that all new cars are expensive. Their cheapest car Accent was $18,000

RCO likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Aside from Tesla, all car dealers are independent from the car manufacturer. The manufacturer does have some pull over dealers, but not as much as one would think.

If I had gone by the impression of the first Toyota dealer I went to, I wouldn't have gotten any Toyota car.

That is the "loaded to the gills" competitor to the Prius. The equivalent Toyota would list for $35k. The top trim Elantra costs around that of the top trim Corolla, but starts for less.

From what I've seen, Toyota is the only company with the advanced safety features like TSS-P standard on their cars. It costs extra everywhere else.

That said, the only reason Toyota has BSM as part of a free package on all Prii now, and not make you buy a Four or higher for it, is because it is standard on the base Ioniq. The Ioniq is also why individuals can now buy a Prius One if they want.

It is supply constrained at the moment; Hyundai doesn't have to offer incentives to prop up sales like Toyota with the Prius. Yet. The incentives will come once more cars get to dealer lots.

RCO likes this.
  14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I test drove an Ioniq hybrid today. The salesman was quite personable and very courteous. This dealership is owned by the family that owns car dealerships for almost every brand. If you're a voter in Texas, you'll know the name.

He didn't have any problems with the gift card coupon.

Since they have only one on the lot, the test drive was basically around the block. I didn't have much opportunity to try anything out, but this is my impression.

The "dual clutch transmission" is very noticeable. If you're as used to the Prius transaxle as I am, you'll feel like you're driving an ICE car.

"The car is designed around the battery" means the battery is underneath the rear seat, just like my Gen 4. It didn't look like there was a significant difference in terms of rear seat room or trunk volume to me.

I really don't care much for the Ioniq's front grille. I know a lot of PriusChat members hate the Gen 4's front grille, so that's a wash. Other than that, the car's styling is inoffensively jelly bean-like, for those who like jelly beans.

And, the navigation system looks horrible on the surface. It's black on grey. No markers for tollways or anything like that.

There are 5 trim levels: Blue (basic), SEL, SEL with Tech package, Limited, Limited with Ultimate package. You don't get full TSS-P equivalent until the highest trim level, and HUD isn't offered at all. Lack of HUD is pretty much a deal breaker for me, especially around here.

And, this is a 1.0 model from a manufacturer that doesn't seem to have much of a hybrid track record.

I'd consider a Hyundai next time I'm the market, but it will be many years from now.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Like the appearance, the shifting and no shifting is going to come down to personal preference. Wouldn't blame anyone on skipping on first year Ioniq/Niro over DCT reliability concenrs. That said, the gen2 Sonata hybrid is coming up to its midcycle refresh soon with a step automatic transmission.

I am only seeing the bending headlights as the only difference between the SEL w/ tech and Limited w/ ultimate in the advanced safety features here. 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid - Specifications | Hyundai USA Does the Hyundai site miss something?

RCO likes this.
  16. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got the brochure, if anyone is really interested, I can verify.

RCO likes this.
  17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wasn't trying to be funny, I was saying your first impression of Hyundai with sales people was not good. There was no sarcasm intended.

Mendel Leisk and orenji like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was waiting for orenji's impression of the car, not the incompetent salesman.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to keep you waiting!

Car drove extremely quite, ride was firm but not harsh. Interior plastics and seat fabrics was of nice quality. Dash layout was well thought out. It's seems like a well made car. Exterior styling is conservative compared to the Gen 4. It's going to sell well, but the Prius is a Toyota and that's going to be hard to beat.

Trollbait and RCO like this.