1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Hybrid parking in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Maximus, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    caught part of a radio news item that the Mayor was interested in allowing free parking for hybrids. Didn't catch the whole story. Anybody else have any info?

2. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Free public parking for your hybrid?
    </span>
    Ald. Rey Colon(35th) thinks you -- and the planet -- deserve it, so he'll introduce the appropriate ordinance today in the City Council.

He doesn't know how much revenue it would cost the city, but suggests raising metered rates to make up the difference.

"You can't put a price tag on cleaner air," he said Tuesday.

But it's the effect on global warming he's most interested in. Colon said Chicago's nearly 6 million vehicles annually emit 68.5 billion pounds of climate-changing carbon dioxide.

He got the idea at a conference in Connecticut, where he heard of a similar law in New Haven. Los Angeles and San Antonio, Texas, also let hybrids park free.

"Free parking really is an incentive if you need to come downtown and park. I like it," said Colleen Sarna of the Sierra Club.

But will the City Council? Colon hasn't counted votes.

"But even if there's not a lot of support, it has an educational element," he said.

Speaking of elements, a Honda Element is what Colon drives.

"I drive a fuel-efficient vehicle; I haven't acquired a hybrid as of yet," he admitted. "Does that make me a hypocrite?"

<span style="color:#3366ff">PS - Hey, we're neighbors!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I so rarely get into the city, I wouldn't notice. And when I do get down there, it's usually via MetraRail.

But hey, I'm all for free parking for hybrids.
    Chicago is already listed as one of the Green Cities in the United States - a fact that's so rarely ever mentioned it's almost as though they are trying to keep it a secret.

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Speaking as a Chicago resident, I have mentioned this to the city's Department of the Environment who champions alternative/hybrid auto's (and whose Prius fleet is real lucky if any of them get above 50 MPG), no interest. So if the alderman gets some momentum and the mayor blesses it watch for the DoE to become the hybrid champion. For myself, I would rather them give me a break on my VERY expensive (more than the state license plates) city vehicle sticker. And while they are at it fix all these wash-board streets which ruin my glides and quit tearing-up streets which they just repaved a year ago (rant off).

Wayne

Who has tried to teach the Environmental Department drivers how to drive for better MPG and they look at me real funny.

5. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 26 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]292953[/snapback]</div>

Wayne,

You're a GREAT teacher; don't let them upset you!

Mike (who is still practicing pulse & glide and even has my wife doing it!)