1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free NAV DVD update - the story so far...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikepaul, Nov 14, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looking poor, since they didn't provide a phone number to call so I could even ask how 5.1 could be had. May have to beg for I.O.U. on 5.1, if I can find someone to beg...

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Sad that this is so tough. Denso won't talk to end-users, and Toyota seems to have little interest in distributing the current version. I guess I don't understand why it's so hard to come by. It's just a DVD!

Well, good luck... :mellow:

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

4. RichardBarth

RichardBarth New Member

I received my 2005 Seaside Pearl #6 about 4 weeks ago and it has version 5.1 of the DVD. But I was wondering where is this DVD in the car? I don't see it anywhere. How does one get to it? Can I readily change the DVD myself or do I have to go back to the dealer? Although it isn't an issue now since I have 5.1, I just wanted to know for future reference.

5. popoff

popoff New Member

Look under the driver's seat.

6. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a test drive in a new 05 and swap out the discs.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

8. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My dealership ordered the DVD upgrade for my car in August, but didn't install it until last week (I was too busy to go back for the install). My car originally had version 3.3, and I was given version 5.1. So I think that the version that they are shipping out for the recall is the most current version.

And I think there are a lot more windows to go thru, and new things that you can program in, than in the old version (although I didn't have time to look through everything, I did see more boxes and pages to click through)!!

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you. That is what I have been waiting to hear.

I inquired at the dealer, when I had the car serviced last week, and was told that they expected to receive version 4.2 if they were to order the replacement DVD for me at that time. I decided to wait until late December to order the disk in hopes of getting version 5.1. Your post leads me to believe that I made the right decision when I decided to wait for the free upgrade.

10. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I jumped the gun and got the DVD upgrade a couple of weeks ago (4.2). All I can say is my 4.2 is crap. 1/2 of the streets that my old 3.x had are completely gone. And I mean gone! As far as the DVD is concerned, the area of Madison, AL doesn't exist. I'm going to goto the dealer and 'complain' about it. Heck, my 3.x was better! Maybe they'll let me have 5.1.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is why I'm making noise now, rather than next month. Of course, I'll be lucky if I'm allowed to talk to anyone I want to talk to...

Although, maybe I'm misreading other replies, but how did one dealer get 5.1 a while back, and another got 4.2 more recently?...

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can it be that hard to find out where a Limited Service Campaign's implementation team is located? And would there be more than one place servicing the campaigns anyway?...

12:29AM - Just called 800-331-4331 again. I'm supposed to get a callback from somewhere in 15 minutes about this. If that goes nowhere, I'm out of decent places to try...

13. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Heh-heh. Great signature considering the roadblocks you're encountering...

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The guy at 800-331-4331 transferred me to Robin (somewhere) who believes that the only version covered under the service campaign is 4.2, and if 5.1 was delivered under that campaign it was done by the dealer. She repeated the "5.1 isn't for sale yet" I've heard already.

So she entered a case for me with my dealer to try to get what I want (and I did specify for free), and since the guy at my dealer she emailed it to is in school this week I'll have to wait and see what happens. I did leave a voicemail in case it speeds things up...

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where are you located? Perhaps the replacement disk is different by region if they depleted the stock of v4.2 at some locations but not others.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    During my talk with Robin (mentioned above) she pointed out that 4.2 was the only one intended to cover the replacment, so I imagine plenty were around. Why they had such a long fulfillment window if there was no plan to provide a different DVD as time went on was something she couldn't answer.

She implied that if someone got a 5.1, the dealer pulled it out of a 2005 or something. That's why I have a case with my dealer rather than with whoever fills the replacement orders.

I hope something good comes out of all this...

17. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so when someone finally gets a 5.1 disc...
    % dd < /dev/dvd | gzip -9 > backup.gz

So if you could just remember to do that from now on that'd be great, thanks.

18. TALON

TALON New Member

I just went out to my car to see what version I have, I was shocked 5.1. My car was made o8/05.

19. 3c3

3c3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is the update policy for the NAV DVD, if any? Sounds like Toyota is selling these updates.

Would copying it to DVD+/-R work?

20. syd

syd New Member

Would work if its a Double Layer Disk, as the original disk is a DL disk. That has been done before. (not by me)