1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Seatbelt Extender from Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by rpeeples, Jan 7, 2011.

1. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reference to post #1 here...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/4583-tips-tricks-other-information-about-your-prius.html

The author mentions that you can get a free seatbelt extender from Toyota. Was this ever true? If so, is it still true? I am a bit skeptical about it, but considering that I spent many thousands on a new Prius, you would think the dealer would throw in a simple extender.

I am looking for one not because I am fat, I just have a lot of trouble plugging in the seatbelt when buckling my daughter into her car seat. It keeps trying to slip down under the back of the seat. If I could extend it just a few inches, it would save all that trouble.

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why not just ask your dealer?

3. det97

det97 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did get two from the dealer when I picked up the car. The only problem I had was the passenger airbag likes to turn off when the extender is in there. So yes they are free.

4. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car probably figures that anyone big enough to need an extender carries their own padding.

5. rpeeples

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Asking questions on this forum is part of the "7 P's". It helps to have a little extra "ammo" when dealing with a car dealer.

6. rpeeples

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to see my Toyota dealer today to inquire about the seatbelt extender. He said he didn't have it in stock and would have to order it. I asked about the price to make sure it would not be too expensive. I just didn't want him to order it then change my mind later because of the price. He paused for a few seconds with a strange look on his face. Then he grabbed the calculator and pecked on a few keys then gave me the look of "do you really want to know?". I started to get a little concerned, then he said "one cent". I told him I would have to sleep on it and let him know. I gave him my best game face. Then he said he could give me a discount since I bought the car there. Reluctantly, I said to go ahead and order it.

Anybody care to make a donation to help me pay for it?

7. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the seat belt extenders are FREE,

a quick tip:

make sure the extender isn't installed before you start the Prius. I had one for my dad and when I would forget to remove it first before starting the passenger airbag did not come on. removed the extender, waited 10 seconds, reinstalled it and the airbag came on.

I don't need the extender now and have 2 for a Buick. (no they are not interchangeable)

8. jdimetal

jdimetal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The owners manual says it is free. I guess I am one of the few who reads those things cover to cover

9. rpeeples

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I'm a guy. We don't read owner's manuals.

Just kidding. I skimmed over the manual, but since I was not specifically looking for anything pertaining to seat belts, I never came across it.

Thanks for letting me know.:)

10. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love these forums! I'd never heard of a seatbelt extender before reading this. Thank goodness I found this thread because ever since I changed out my granddaughter's car seat for a booster seat I've been going nuts trying to buckle the rear seatbelt. In our SUV she can do it herself but she always needs help in my Prius and I really struggle with it. I even complained about it when I completed my online survey for Toyota.

Anyway, when I called my dealer today he told me I'd need to bring my car in to be measured before they could order the extender. Did that happen to anyone else? Even when I explained that I just needed a few inches to prevent the receiver from receding into the seat when I pushed on it he said my car would have to be measured. What's up with that? Now I have to make two trips to the dealership. Ugh!

11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I read the manual too and it says that if you need a seatbelt extender, you can get one at no cost from the dealer. I guess Toyota doesn't want any legal troubles if *ahem* people who suffer from a seatbelt deficiency should claim discrimination or suffer some kind of injury for which Toyota may be liable for.

However, if you truly need a seatbelt extender, you might try to lose some extra "baggage" as I hear that can impact fuel economy.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's pretty difficult to "lose" the kids.

13. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dealership refused to order me an extender because their computer said they shouldn't be used with child safety seats. Now what? :( I struggle with that seatbelt every morning!

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Go to a different dealer and tell them it's for your overweight parent. Don't even bring up an use for which it's not designed.

15. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That may not work because my dealer told me the extender must be measured at the dealership. And with the only other dealership in my area being over 40 miles away, I don't want to drive all that way for nothing. Frankly, my seatbelt reaches beyond the steering wheel with me in it so I can't even imagine how big you'd need to be to require an extender, or how someone who would require an extender could fit comfortably into the car.

Besides, if Toyota won't allow the extender to be used on child safety seats then I'm guessing there's a safety issue I should be concerned about. The dealer told me the shortest extender is 6 inches so I can see where that might affect how the seatbelt fits around a child.

In any case, Toyota should have to address this issue in a safe and responsible manner so I will be contacting their corporate office tomorrow.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What do you mean, measured at the dealer? Are they actually asking that you bring your overweight family member for measurement (which would not be possible because you can't transport them without the extender anyway)? Why not just order the shortest available extender (6")?

In any case, being inconvenienced in being able to put on the seatbelt is hardly a safety issue so I'm unsure what you mean by Toyota addressing this issue in a safe and responsible manner. Forget corporate office, I'd just go back to the same dealer (hopefully you'll get a different person) and let them take whatever measurement so they can order the shortest extender.

17. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I didn't say my inconvenience was a safety issue. And, yes they expect you to bring your overweight family member to the dealership. BTW, based on what I read on another thread I'm not the only priuschat member who has had this experience. And I already asked them to order the shortest extender but they refused. Finally, I'm no longer interested in getting an extender if it will create a safety issue for my granddaughter. What I meant when I wrote 'safe and responsible' was that people are less likely to use seatbelts when they are difficult to operate and Toyota has a responsibility to address the functionality issue with the Prius' rear seatbelts.

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm surprised they would do that, as in theory you can't even bring them in the first place without an extender. Seems like they're making it difficult to get one. I'm going to try requesting one the next time I take my car in and see what the experience is like. It would be nice if my kid could unbuckle herself when we get out like she does in the Lexus but she's currently unable to do so in the Prius because it's too deep for her to get to.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. The law is the law and no responsible parent is going to not buckle up their kids just because it's difficult is operate. I buckle my kid in her booster seat everyday and although it's difficult to get to, it's still doable (especially with practice).

19. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Once again, I did not say people wouldn't buckle in their children. Geesh. I meant people IN GENERAL are less likely to use things that are difficult to use. Sorry but I believe Toyota should be held responsible for the shortcomings of their vehicles - especially when it concerns safety devices. It should not be this difficult to use a seatbelt! If you don't mind struggling with the rear seatbelts for the remainder of the time you own your car great. But I do mind.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fair enough, but it doesn't apply to people in general anyway because it's only difficult with child/booster seats.