1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free T-shirt from GM

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by efusco, Feb 6, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    heh, what does the T-shirt say, "GM promised hybrids and all I got was this crumby T-Shirt"? :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now now..... :lol:

They're promoting their E85 campaign. It's a good cause.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I especially like the "cornulator" and the "cobcast". :lol:

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If their idea of 'extra large' matches mine, I'lll wear it. If not, I have plenty of Dew shirts from trying to win a Xbox 360 to fall back on...

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

ROFL! Not sure I would wear a t-shirt to promote a type of gasoline that seem to only exsist at 4 places in all of CA (and only 1 is a public util)... I don't see how this can be a short term viable alternative... and if it's not short term there might be a lot better alternatives... I hope I'm wrong

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, but Evan's right, their heart's in the right place so I shouldn't kick 'em too hard. The design's nice so I'll probably get one. What the heck. :)

8. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess I'm skeptical but I don't think their hart is really in the right place. I think GM does this to push a green technology gimic that they know will never fly. Thay way they can claim to be green even thought they have nothing to show for it.

I guess I'm not impressed with a company "going green" and the only have technology they have is either very easy to implement (e85, my understanding is that it's a very simple sensor and spark plug reprogram + no aluminum parts) but will likley never be available or 2) almost impossible difficult technology (fuel cell) that will likley never be available either (or at least not befor e10+ years).

So no I will not wear such a t-shirt. They have to do something a little more impressive then that ! (how about that ev2)?

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As I have said on here before, E85 is not the answer. It is an answer at least in the near term to the US 'oil addiction'. If GM and Ford can get 2,000,000 more E85 vehicles on the road in the next couple of years it will really help reduce the demand for oil. I have already worn my shirt! ;)

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Really?

Those FFV produced in the past were basically only for the purpose of collecting emission credits. The automakers did nothing to encourage owners to actually use E85. All they did was push the sale of the vehicle. Beyond that, forget it. So naturally, here in Minnesota where ethanol is common, people just pumped gas into their tanks instead.

If there heart is in the right place now, they will make an effort to make sure E85 is what owners choose to pump into the tank.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a flex fuel on the Sport Trac, never used it. No access, no real push for people to use it. That hardly seems like dedication toward alternate energy.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM is kicking off an advertising campaign touting the benefits of E85 and to push the infrastrucure needed to use it across the states. There are major political forces at work trying to crush E85 in its tracks. Look for alot of media coverage beginning this weekend as GM will officially introduce the E85 campaign at the Chicago Auto Show. :)

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a good-sized lobbying effort working behind the scenes to minimize the E85 campaign and prohibit the infrastructure development needed. Guess who is leading the anti-E85 effort?

14. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Free is always good, thanks for the heads up!

15. CornBoy

CornBoy New Member

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, if E85 or E100 or whatever does take off, how much support
    from *TOYOTA* do we get in doing the minor conversion to our
    current Priiii to not choke on it? Or is Toyota's take on it going
    to wind up being "keep supporting foreign oil, or buy a new car"
    because that's better for the bottom line?
    _H*

17. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Cool, I hope it happens! Though I highly doubt it. I get a feeling that this is something nice to PR about but I doubt that anyone (apart from farmers maybe) has a real interest in really seeing this happening.

18. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if this is true. The oil industry has been able to shut down most attempts before (like owning important battery patents and refusing access to the technology). I think realisticly EV cars using Ion battery stands th best chance if only becasue it seems like the patents are noe owned by big oil yet. Though with the profits they make it wouldn't suprise me if they buys the right to the patents.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM sees it as an opportunity to 'green' their image and loosen up the demand for oil as the economy switches energy sources. I have been driving an E85 tahoe that takes 25 gallons to fill up, only 3.75 gallons of petroleum! :)

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    :lol: Did you think that I meant that I thought that they were altruistic or something like that? Naw, a corporation's heart always belongs to profit. But if they're actually trying to get in to the alternate fuel/fuel economy mode then great. Turning their greed towards alternative fuels is better and more realistic given the times than their addiction to oil. ;)