1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Free Tax Software

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jan 21, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I found this free software. Haven't tried it myself, but thought perhaps someone might be interested.

You can download the 2005 TaxCut Standard software for
    free by clicking here:
    http://store.taxcut.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entr...=840&CID=206485
    -or-
    http://tinyurl.com/c2dmq

Don't select any state software (there's a charge for that) and
    remove the "download protection" option from your shopping cart
    when you check out and it's completely free.

If you also want Deduction Pro for free, click here:
    https://www.hrblock.com/assets/partners/dpro_giveaway.html
    -or-
    http://tinyurl.com/8m8kh

2. cmympg

cmympg Who knows? Who cares?

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just downloaded the Deduction Pro. I didn't like some of the registration questions, so I wasn't completely honest. It appeared (to me at least) to be a little cumbersome to get into. Its pretty good software for keeping track of charitable deductions including the donated value of the items. I didn't look at the medical part of it, just the non cash contributions since that is an area that many people underestimate the value of what they donated.

Thanks for the link.

Joan, tax person, Ex Block employee

3. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I've used TaxAct for free the last couple years. It didn't seem any worse to me than TurboTax which I had used before that.

The free version doesn't remember stuff you entered from the previous year, but I can save $10 and type my name and SS in again.

4. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If your adjusted gross income is less than $50,000, you can use the IRS's Free File program, and select from several online options to do your taxes. I've used Free File from TurboTax for three years, very successfully. I don't know if it goes to $100k for married filing jointly or not.

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like Taxcut.. have used it for years.....

6. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I'm also a TaxCut fan.

7. cgraham

cgraham Member

I got a free cc of Tax Cut Federal in my PC World subscription (1st issue to arrive in Jan, I think): it was attached to an interior page. I was amazed, installed it and it appears to work (haven't done my tazxes yet :)

Maybe it's in the newsstand copies too.

C

8. QED

QED New Member

I'm sure there is lots of good tax software floating around. Great tool. Gotta love electronic filing!!!

I've used TurboTax for over 10 years. Gee, probably way more than 10 years(edit: found by old disks, 2005 is my 13th tax year with TurboTax!). The first versions printed on the IRS forms (ha, using a daisy wheel printer! what a flash back :lol: ). I don't know if I am a fan or it's just comfortable, like an old sweatshirt. Definitely worth the 30 bucks or so each year. It saves a lot of information from previous years.

I can't go back to doing taxes by hand (I would have dust off my old printing calculator! :p ).

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This year I think I'm going to use Taxact online. I have been a Turbotax user for a long time now, but the price they want, and the fact that they have totally removed support for MacOS9 stinks. So, online I go, reluctantly.

10. Dion

Dion New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have used Turbotax for the last few years when it was free, either through my investment company or the IRS site. Now they charge too much. I will never use Turbotax again, because last year I linked through the IRS site for the free filing and after I entered all my data the program said pay $39.95 to file. I did get a refund after many hours on hold. Also, Turbotax now charges for electronic filing and they don't tell you how much until you try to file. It use to be free to file electronically if you purchased the software.