1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

freeeked out in traffic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fwellers, Nov 28, 2007.

1. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

I got stuck in my first traffic jam since getting my Prius. After about 20 or 30 minutes of crawling and sitting, I noticed the traction battery was getting lower and lower. It got all the way to the last line (purple).

I thought, Oh crap, what's gonna happen now, is it gonna die ?

Then I remembered something about putting it in 'B' mode to help charge it. It did seem to help, but the help would have been very little since I was barely moving.

About that time the traffic eased up and I started moving again. Also, it seemed that about that time the ICE started kicking on to charge the battery.

So I'm wondering now, how is the car supposed to act in traffic jams ?

Is it safe to be in long traffic jams ? If it is, I would suspect that the ICE should start charging the traction battery well before the last (purple) line. Does my computer or something need an adjustment ?

Thanks for any advice.

Floyd

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your car reacted exactly like mine does when I get caught in abysmal morning commute traffic. The Prius is very good at making sure the battery stays optimized. If you had been there too long, eventually the ICE would have kicked in to make sure the battery got charged.

There's a thread about about this here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37342

3. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Nov 28 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]545147[/snapback]</div>

Thanks much !! The thread was good. I should've done a better search.

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fwellers @ Nov 28 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]545149[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I only found it because it was listed under the "similar topics" when I was reading your post.

5. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

Your computer will handle everything. If you want to make your life easier then don't even look at this screen

6. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowbone @ Nov 28 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]545155[/snapback]</div>

Sacriledge !!

How else could I have known that the last line was purple :huh: B) :rolleyes:

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What you describe is normal. The ICE will run as needed to keep the battery charged. Don't use B mode in this manner; it doesn't help. For most people B mode should never be used. Its only function is to burn off extra energy by spinning the ICE, much as you would do by down-shifting when descending a steep hill. B mode is intended for very long hills where the traction battery will charge to its highest allowed state, forcing the friction brakes to take over.

Tom

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only thing to add to the "don't worry about it, your car will take care of itself" (oh and the "yes, we've all been in the exact same situation") is to say that there was no need to place the transmission into mode.

I'm not trying to kick the dying horse here, I just want to make sure that the casual browser who stumbles upon this thread several months in the future receives all the appropriate information.

9. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the horse is NOT dead--I saw it twitch!
    MY understanding of the 'B' mode is that it acts alot like the decompressions in a trailer truck in that it actually bleeds OFF excess energy so that the system doesn't overload--is that not so? Simplistic terms, yes, but realistically, he should leave it in 'D' to get the most benefit from the charging systems, no?

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Nov 28 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]545176[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not certain there is anything simplistic about it. I don't say this to be argumentative, but to express my lack of a complete understanding of the computer controls behind the "D" mode vs. the "B" mode. As I've understood it, there may be circumstances, when driving at very low speeds, where placing the car in "B" mode may get the engine to more quickly charge the traction battery. Of course, this is done at the expense of fuel. By staying in "D" the car's computer will control the charge of the battery at a more fuel efficient pace. I don't see any reason to use the "B" mode unless I'm driving down a long, steep incline and my battery readout is all greens.

At least this is my understanding of it. I'll defer to Hobbit for the definitive statements about "B" Mode. Hobbit's writing should be mandatory reading for every Prius owner.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Nov 28 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]545208[/snapback]</div>
    On a long, steep incline you want to switch to B mode in advance of a high SOC, otherwise B mode doesn't help. Here is why: When the SOC becomes too high, even in D mode, the control system will start to bleed off excess energy with the ICE, just as it does in B mode. The difference with B mode is that you are telling the controller to get on it now, and not wait until the SOC is too high. This is a form of feed-forward control where you use your knowledge of the road ahead instead of waiting until after the fact. This advanced notice will forestall the use of friction brakes.

Tom

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Nov 28 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]545208[/snapback]</div>
    Even if that's true, why bother? "D" will recharge the battery as needed with no fuel economy hit. A faster recharge is purposeless.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worth remembering the charge display only shows 40% of the scale, even with no bars there is most likely 40% left in the battery and at full green the battery is at 80%. As said earlier, let th HSD look after it.

14. GreenIsGood

GreenIsGood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm kind of curious myself about the B mode but I need to have a clear definition of "long, steep hill." What that means in Western Pennsylvania might be very different than the interpretation of someone in South Carolina. If I'm on a road that's a fairly long downhill (the kind you see signs warning truckers to reduce gear) for 5 or 6 miles, is it smart to put it in B mode?
    In my old car, I'd put it in neutral on such occasions just for fun. But are we instead talking about REALLY steep hills?

15. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 28 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]545416[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly right! Please don't read my post as a suggestion that "B" mode should be used.

My statement in the post: "I don't see any reason to use the "B" mode unless I'm driving down a long, steep incline and my battery readout is all greens."

Let me clarify: I envision my only use of "B" is when I am going down an incline steep enough to provide numerous warnings about "Steep Grade", extra lanes going the other way (uphill), and "runaway" lanes. Even then, I think I would use it only if the MFD showed all eight bars bright green, my A/C was running full blast, I had miles to go, and the brakes were starting to fade. The HSD's computers know how to handle things, and I'll trust them to do the right thing.

Still -- for more information about the "B" mode, I think folks should read Hobbit's page. I learned enough to simply ignore that letter on the shift knob.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenIsGood @ Nov 28 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]545481[/snapback]</div>

16. fwellers

fwellers Junior Member

Ha. I knew my little blurb about using the "B" mode in my panic, would get a little B-mode discussion going. :)

Good ! I can never get too much B rated discussion :lol:

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like the best thing to do is NOTHING. :))

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenIsGood @ Nov 28 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]545481[/snapback]</div>
    Use an operational definition: if you find yourself standing on the brake, shift to "B". Or do it if you get weary with hitting the brakes repeatedly, but be prepared to accept reduced fuel economy.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenIsGood @ Nov 28 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]545481[/snapback]</div>
    The "long, steep" definition is variable. It depends on a variety of factors, including current SOC and battery temperature. B mode is good for any hill where braking is required AND you know that the regenerated energy will exceed the capacity of the battery. The only way to know when to use it is by experience. If you find yourself going down hills that max out the battery and cause friction braking to kick in, then next time you can use B mode. There is no hard and fast rule. I've never found a hill in Michigan that needs B mode.

Tom

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Alternatively, you could just act like a normal person rather than a Prius owner who only does something if there's an MPG boost, and use B mode for the same reason any other car would use a low gear going downhill - to help keep control of the car... :rolleyes:

20. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the UK we have "Select lower gear now" signs at the top of some long steep hills. I act as directed and put the car in B mode till I am at the bottom. I still end up breaking most of the way down the only local hill with this signage (Nether Broughton for those local to Melton Mowbray). I can't remember ever using B in another situation, apart from when I first got the car and wanted to find out what it did.