1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Freeway driving

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tami Topper, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Tami Topper

Tami Topper ocd about mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am getting my plugin today...can't wait! I drive on the freeway every day for 15-20 minutes...should i use ev mode or eco mode??? thanks,
    Tami

Attached Files:

• 240.jpg
      240.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on how far your total trip is and if you can charge at work.I would try driving in EV mode on the slower surface streets and use HV (engine on) on the freeway. The great thing about the plug-in is you can try a bunch of different techniques. Eventually you will find the best one for your commute. Once you grow accustomed to driving at 60mph or less on the freeway you will be rewarded with outstanding fuel economy, especially in the summer!

Don't be discouraged if your mpg numbers are lower than expected in the winter. Everyone's fuel economy is less in the cold weather and with winter blend fuel. Plus you need seat time to figure out how best to drive it. This is not an ordinary car. You can drive it like one and get great fuel economy or you can learn how to master it and achieve unbelievable fuel economy. ;)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not ev or eco, it's ev or hv and eco, normal and power. as f8l says above, use your ev on side streets and flatish terrain and hv (engine) on highway and uphill. if you have ev left over by your next charge, use it up in the hv places. you want to use almost all your ev before charging if you can, it's the most efficient and fun!

F8L likes this.
  4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you can stomach the slow speed, leave ECO on all the time. That's what I do.

For EV, i t depends on how long your commute is. If it is 15-20 minutes, then I wouldn't do a thing and let your car default to using EV until it is used up. Otherwise, slow use EV and fast use HV.

5. Tami Topper

Tami Topper ocd about mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the replies...I really appreciate it!!