1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

freeway merging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by artie, Jul 3, 2006.

1. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i live in san diego, r/t commute of 78 miles, i use cruise control, slow lane of f-way, at about 63 mph; in this manner, i have a lifetime gas mileage of about 51.3 miles per gallon, now at 55,000 miles. when folks are merging on to the f-way, i get over to let them in. now that i have been driving this way for 2+ years, i have observed that when the merging driver enters the f-way, the driver does so slowly, taking care and lots of time to get up to speed (which is always faster than me). in the meantime i have to troll in the 2cnd lane , speeding up (my mph!) to comply w/ the 18 wheeler breathing down my neck, until i can scoot back into the slow lane.
    my wish is that people would "give er the gas" and get up to speed. i never realized how slowly people, at least per my observations, merge. plus as we all know the merger is supposed to yield to oncoming traffic in the first place, as if that happens.
    no, just come on in, at your leisure, welcome to the flow.

i've always wanted to rant on a board. i won't do it again.
    no, i don't feel any better. or worse.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with you, I think a lot of folks have had it drummed into their heads that slower is better for so long that they think it applies to acceleration also. Tests by BMW and others have proven that more rapid acceleration (not full throttle but perhaps half or so) thus getting up to speed more quickly saves gas. The tests I saw were conducted with conventional cars, I suspect the same may be true with the Prius but I have no data to back it up. The trade off of course is getting worse mileage for a shorter period of time.

But I doubt you will convince the average high school driving instructor or your aunt Hilda.

There is also a safety factor, we are better off going the speed of the traffic we are going to merge with, but that seems lost on some people also.

3. jtullos

jtullos New Member

While I don't get a lot of freeway driving (mostly rural area) I have noticed a distinct improvement in mileage by accelerating quickly rather than slowly. If I recall all of the numbers correctly, my mileage went up by about 2-3 MPG by doing this.

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where I live, "Yield" is commonly interpreted as "force the driver with the right of way to get over, slow down, and cut him off and then slow down to make him pass you to keep pace with the flow of traffic.

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I'll tell you why I merge slowly. It is because I'd be dead long ago if I didn't!

Couple the idiots that try to block people from merging by tailgating the car ahead of them within inches and the fact that half the merging ramps are unsafe at any speed and I have to drive slow enough to be able to stop right at the top of the ramp.

I'd much rather hold up the whole damn line of speeding drivers than be forced into the guard rail or off a cliff.

If the ramp has sufficient room even when I know the road well, there is still no guarantee I can merge fast because I have often gone faster than I should on ramps I know have plenty of room or a break down lane in case I can't fit into the flow, only to find there is construction there with no warning till I am on it and lots of equipment and barricades to hit if the traffic is too solid.

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I AGREE!!!!!! Man, this drives me nuts at times.

People will merge VERY slowly to the freeway then cruise @ 80mph! Hello?!? Wasting gas there.

It would be nice if people actually used their V6s and V8s to catch up to speed while entering the freeway and cruising @ 65mph instead.

Ironic.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here in Spokane, where, if I take the freeway, I'm always in the slow lane, I've noticed that drivers merging onto the freeway usually speed up to merge into the space in front of me. I'll move into the next lane or slow down if necessary, but it's seldom needed. Mostly I can leave my cruise control set and drivers will merge in just fine.

People and rats are nicer when they are less crowded, meaner when they are packed too close.

And feel free to rant. Most of us do.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Jul 3 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]280665[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but you live near Boston, home of the meanest, nastiest drivers in the country! Merging in Boston is a nightmare. :blink:

Tom

9. meezercat

meezercat New Member

In the Chicago area, what happens is that at every single on-ramp there is a huge backup of cars not moving at all because no one knows how to merge. Everyone gets to the bottom of the on-ramp and slams on the brakes, and the people already on the expressway slam on the brakes because they don't know what to do about these people. Once you get past the on-ramp, the traffic usually opens up again, until you get a half mile to a mile from the next on-ramp, and it starts all over.

It makes me homicidal.

10. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The slow freeway merging thing must be a worldwide phenomenon.

We are from Melbourne, Australia and the exact same thing happens here on all of the freeways. WHY can't people speed up to 100KM/h. That is what the merge lane is for, so you can get to the speed of the rest of the traffic to make merging easier.

11. kDB

kDB New Member

well when i try to merge onto the highway here, i'm usually forced to slow down. i'll get up to speed (60mph, the speed limit), then someone in the right lane decides they don't want me in front of them and will speed up 10-15 mph to pass me. this causes me to slow down to 50 to get behind them, thus slowing the people behind even more.

figured i'd mention a bit of the problems of the other side too.

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

See, artie, plenty of kindred spirits. Rant away.

I glance over at the "leader" in the on-ramp/merge lane to judge their speed, then either accelerate or drop back slightly to accomodate her/him (and change lanes if it's questionable). It's when you CAN't change lanes that the adrenaline kicks in and you quickly do more glancing. :eek:

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

The kids in my driving school are taught to merge AT HIGHWAY SPEED for safety. This is an isue of "what seems logical, is not".

People try to merge slowly because they think it is safer (re the poster who said he needs to be able to stop at the end of the ramp). However...if yoiu are matching the speed of the other traffic, you can merge in within inches theoretically.

Here is the question...if everyone is going 100 mph, and you are going 100mph, and there is a space to get into that is 6 inches longer than the length of your car...can you fit? The answer is yes. If you are going 90 mph, can you do it? the answer is no.

So, all you weenies that putt onto the freeway becaue you think it is safer?....you are wrong...plain and simple. SO.... stop endangering us.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would counterargue to all the buttheads flying along in the
    righthand lane less than 2 car-lengths from each other to BACK OFF,
    and stop endangering ME as I try to come onto the highway.
    _H*

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(artie @ Jul 3 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]280633[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious as to why you are using cruise control in a congested environment. :huh:

Changing lanes to make room for cars merging onto the freeway is a dangerous proposition, and it sound like you are waiting too long to initiate your lane change – hence, the 18 wheeler breathing down your neck.

Cruise control + congestion + merging traffic + lane changes . . . sounds to me like you need to change your driving tactics.

The Math of . . . Changing Lanes
    Of the 42,643 motor-vehicle-related fatalities in the United States last year, 3 percent—1,304—occurred in cars changing lanes or merging.

http://www.discover.com/issues/apr-05/depa...changing-lanes/

I rarely have problems with merging traffic. I leave more than enough space in front for them to safely merge, and I'll gladly slow down rather than abruptly change lanes. After all, I am a reformed driver. I now drive a Prius . . . I love slow traffic . . . slow traffic is an MPG friend. :D

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Reading this thread makes Spokane seem like not such a bad place to live at all. Of course, Fargo was even better: merging is not much of an issue when there are only about 5 other cars within a quarter of a mile.

17. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 3 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]280657[/snapback]</div>

Hey, that sounds like Pennsylvania.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't have the merging problem here, as there are no limited access highways. I have to drive for an hour and a half to get to the nearest one. Our state highways are just two lane country roads.

Tom

19. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 3 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]280798[/snapback]</div>
    re your query as to why i use c.c., here is why:
    1. not congested, tho some (you?) might think so, i commute against the flow of rush hour. when there is congestion, i do not use c.c.
    2. c.c. helps me maximize my mpg
    3. c.c. enables me to listen to fiction on cd, very relaxing.
    4. being the world's second best driver, i specialize in inoffensive driving, the safe and yet imaginative use of c.c., and keeping things smoooooth for me and those around me.
    5. my favorite bumper sticker last year, seen in los angeles, was: "cover me, i'm changing lanes". you are correct that c.c. can be the wrong way, it's part of the fun i have daily, notwithstanding my rant starting this thread. i've always been a risk taker, i drive a m/c when not in the prius, i once lived way out there in a shadowy world. now, i cruise. and i hear you. B)

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(artie @ Jul 3 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]280633[/snapback]</div>
    In Nor Cal and So Cal, I haven't generally observed what you're talking about that much.

In the Seattle area (when I lived there), I saw it ALL the time. It's incredibly annoying esp. if you're stuck behind the slow poke. It seems like Seattle area drivers just creep onto the highway and think their car will break if they accelerate. Hello.. those acceleration ramps are for accelerating.