1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fried the Auto-Tilt Module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Apr 18, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I fried the Auto-tilt module. I realized just as it quit working that I had confused male and female (because my sub-harness is REVERSED to interface with the car).

I swapped the wires to the correct position; no help.

The module no longer clicks when I power it and one corner (I think it's a capacitor) gets very hot. It doesn't smell burned, but it certainly isn't working right.

Maybe if the capacitors drop some of their charge overnight it will start working again, but I seriously doubt it.

On a positive note, I now have a perfect plug in harness for the auto-tilt module (which I fried shortly before correcting the wiring).

If someone is importing mirrors, let me know; perhaps I can save some shipping on a replacement module.

Nate

2. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm interested in trying to fix yours. What are my chances?

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know what's wrong with it, so I don't know what your chances are.

I'm not sure if you are offering to fix it for me or for yourself...

Nate

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I was hoping to get it at a really good discount if you are throwing it away (pay you), and If I can fix it and you want it back, I can make a little bit from it. (It may turn out cheaper for you in the long run, over buying a new one). It was a random thought.

I also assumed it was for a 2004/2005? I'm not sure where I got that from.

5. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to be ordering the mirror kit for my '05; I also want the auto-tilt feature. Can I help out? I just need to know how to install the auto-tilt so it works correctly.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, my plan was to rearrange the wires so that they match the USA Prius (for power and ground and whatnot) and then do the same for the controls so that it tilts the right mirror instead of the left. I got confused between the male and the female on the Wiring Diagram (or so I believe) and (I think) fried the module by operating the mirror with the module plugged in backward.

All I know at this point is if I plug in the module and power the reverse wire, it no longer clicks or locks out the controls, but instead gets very hot. It doesn't look burned, but who knows at this point.

I'm going to double check my wiring in the next few weeks and see if this thing is recoverable.

If you want to take your chances, go ahead and order a module, and I can tell you what I believe the pinouts are, but if yours fries too, don't come crying to me.

Just a note, the tilt module is completely seperate from the signal mirrors, so they don't need to be installed at the same time.

Nate

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's where a voltmeter comes in handy.