1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Friendly reminder to go give blood

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by HokieHybrid, Mar 21, 2007.

1. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got back from giving blood, and after seeing the count on the board, I am reminded of how important it is to donate. They had just 5 pints of B- blood. Scary.

Junior year of college my roommate's fiance developed Leukemia. He had to have 15+ pints of blood transfused, and we both vowed that we would donate until we had covered at least what he needed (after the fact). I've lost count of the times I've been, and I got too busy to go with work, but this week I found out that another friend is on chemo, and the blood supply in the DC area is at a critical low.

If you're eligible...please go out and donate. It might not be today or tomorrow, but someone you know will need blood and you'll be thankful for those who go out and give.

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Great point, from a fellow Hokie. I first gave blood at either Squires or Owens (I can't remember!).

I gave two weeks ago; I give double platelets. Of course, they would drip me dry if they could, being an O Neg.

And thanks to you for helping out, too. I always think it's a rather small gift to give that really means a lot to those who receive it.

3. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My first donation was in Squires. I am a member of the fraternity that runs the blood drives on campus, and that day I puked on the pres of the fraternity. They'd love to get as much from me as they could as well...O+ like 51 percent of the country. Go Hokies!

4. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HokieHybrid @ Mar 21 2007, 11:09 PM) [snapback]409938[/snapback]</div>
    APO? They used to be the ones that ran them. If so, hi brother. I was a Zeta Beta, too.

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Donating blood made me reallize my blood pressure and choloestrol was WAY TOO HIGH - saved my life!

You can do more than donate whole blood.

- Double red blood cells - Same as whole blood except the red blood cells in two pints of whole blood is extracted - the rest is returned. That way you effectively make a double donation every 128 days.

- Platets - Leukemia and trauma need platlets to clot. Takes two hours on to centrifuge the blood but gets 8-12 whole units worth of platets. Can do this up to 24 times a year.

- Plasma - part of blood other than red cells and platlets. Critical to hydrate patients such as burn victims. Can donate every 4 weeks.

More info see http://www.carterbloodcare.org/wsf/rareblood.asp

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, I have another 2 weeks to go until i'm eligible to donate again.

To add support to Hookie's story, last fall one of my fraternity brothers, 21, had some serious medical problems. During the course of his 6 month long treatment, he used over 100 units of whole blood. I'll be donating as often as i can until i personally pay back every last drop (about 15 years, given the 8 weeks between donations), and i know many of my brothers feel the same way.

O+ FTW!