1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From cloth to heated leather with lumbar support...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by ddiamondd, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ddiamondd

ddiamondd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FOR UNDER $125!!

Keep in mind-as I am sure you have already assumed-this is a budget minded and function over form project, but I am excited to see how this all comes together. I have ordered everything needed, and should have all the pieces of the puzzle next week.

When shopping for my Prius, I found an exterior color I wanted, but no so much on the interior. It is the very light colored cloth. Not only that, but there appear to be a few small burn holes in the passenger seat. This, combined with my (black furred) dog who is always shedding in the back seat, and a baby on the way, lead me to desire leather. And living in CO, leather without heat is a no no.

Anyway, here are the parts I ordered, and I'll be sure to keep you posted on the progress. I have (relatively) high hopes for success in this project. I would love to hear your feedback about this. Let me know if I am crazy for thinking this will work in the first place...

Seat Covers:
    FH-PU002115 Classic Exquisite Leather Car Seat Covers, Airbag compatible and Split Bench, Gray / Black color : Amazon.com : Automotive

Seat Heaters: AmazonBasics 12-Volt Black Heated Seat Cushion with 3-way Temperature Controller : Amazon.com : Automotive

Lumbar Support:
    Amazon.com: Posture Perfect Mesh Lumbar Support: Health & Personal Care

12V Adapter:
    Amazon.com: BESTEK usb adapter car cigarette lighter socket car splitter adapter 4 way plug socket usb outlet dc charger power adapter 12V socket 24V dc adapter car charger Ipad Dual USB charger 2.1A MRS152UV: Car Electronics

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very creative, why not? can't wait to see it come together, all the best!(y)

3. pfour2131

pfour2131 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a worth while endeavor! Good luck, hope to see the finished look!

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't mean to be a jerk, but $60 for rear and / or front 'leather'? covers will be of very low quality. Must be imitation PVC covers (vinyl).

Thing you really need to watch out for is the covers may tranfer dye to your OEM fabric. If they fold back the dyed cover surfaces inside, and that lays on your fabric, bam, dye will transfer.

A set of new Clazzio's front / rear run about $500 shipped.

5. ddiamondd

ddiamondd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I encourage people to give me their opinions. Good point about the color bleeding through to the seats, too. Hadn't thought about that. This project is indeed a budget minded venture, otherwise I would have gone for the higher quality, REAL leather seat covers. But if I can outfit the seats for much less with something that looks better than stock, I will be happy. Everything has arrived, so I will try to get at least the front done today. Stay tuned for pics!

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Few years ago I used a imitation leather (PVC) seat cover found in many auto parts stores by brand name of 'Type S'. ....

At the seams inside, the died surfaces lay on the OEM fabric. After 6 months maybe, I pulled a cover off to find a stripe or two of black dye across my front seat. I wiped for maybe an hour .... that dye did not come out. Fortunately it wasn't really dark.

Good luck though.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone in another thread just put on clazzio leather seat covers. they were beautiful. i think he said $400.

8. ddiamondd

ddiamondd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, so perhaps I was a bit overzealous. The seat covers actually look ok, but the seat heater I bought blocks the straps from going through the seat where they need to be. I am contemplating poking 2 holes in the seat heater for the straps, but I might just install them without the heaters for now.

The other issue is there are spots on both front seat covers where the stitching is coming undone. I will probably return or exchange them, but I could also probably fix them myself.

Yes, the Clazzio covers would be my best option without spending the money on Katzkins, but I will weigh my options.

Bisco, do you have a link to that thread? Couldn't find it on a search...

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. ddiamondd

ddiamondd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The more I look into them, the clazzio seem like the way to go. I was really hoping to keep this project under a couple hundred dollars, but from what I hear the clazzio covers are worth every penny. Seem to have good durability too. Guess my original project is out the window.

11. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You piqued my curiosity with these seat covers. No mentions in any of the Amazon reviews about them bleeding.

I have Dorman seat heaters to put under my cloth seats. Am hoping for an easy weekend job. We'll see!