1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From Prius to PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by reddavid, Jan 26, 2013.

1. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Traded in a 2010 Gen-III Prius V with AT package for a 2012 PiP Advanced. Clearwater Blue. Got the incentives by purchasing in NJ. Already like the HUD. Don't miss the LKA and Parking Assist. Drives a LOT smoother than the V package that has 17" wheels. Doesn't look as 'cool', but the 17" wheels were TERRIBLE in snow. Started out over 40k. With trade in, discounts, incentives, paid 14k. Got Lojack thrown in. Now to start filling out rebate forms. With at whopping 2 mile commute to work...hoping to ditch gas altogether. Have to figure out what to do with 2 sets of floor mats that i'll never use. (both have all weather mats)

usbseawolf2000, DadofHedgehog and JMD like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!!!(y) welcome to the club, all the best!

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice. My next car will be a PIP. Perhaps another 2 1/2 years give or take.

4. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You will love it. Just went out to eat tonight with another couple. Drove 40 miles each way and they admired the Pip the whole way. "Where is the music coming from?" "Just a play list on my iPhone". And on and on. . fun.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've had my PIP four days. Recorded 84mpg fuel consumption yesterday evening and 129mpg today.

6. Jumpjet

Jumpjet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How often did you use the lka and in your opinion, was it any good?

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It works in the sense that it beeps if you appear to be leaving your lane unintentionally. However it sucks in that it gives the steering an odd feel and makes it extremely sensitive to small changes. Makes driving more tedious and tiring. Also beeps every time it turns itself on and off due to losing the lane markers (because they are faded, or road conditions, etc.).

8. Smurf1000

Smurf1000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats.

My buddy did the same thing.

He doubled his mileage when he first bought the Prius, and doubled his mileage again when he got the PIP....

You gotta love it....

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 :)

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Traded in my 2012 Prius Five for the 2012 PIP in October.
    Best I could do for my daily commute for the week was 50.5mpg with the 17" wheels on the Five and the speeds (65mph+) we need to travel on the LIE.
    Now my average MPG for the week is around 88mpg with the PIP... love it!

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I miss the moonroof from my 2010 a little still, but that's it. The plug-in model has been a very nice upgrade, especially considering how well it has been coping with the extreme cold. When we return back to the warm season, the benefit of the plug really becomes pronounced. The design works well with the agumentation. I can't wait for it to become commonly available here.

usbseawolf2000 and lensovet like this.
  12. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Never used the Parking Assist. I'd like to think anyone could park a prius without assistance! The LKA (as noted) was more of a pain that a help. When you really needed it - snow, rain, dark...it usually got confused and beeped a lot. Maybe in 10 yrs there will be a more refined/reliable version. Looking forward to warmer weather as well. 17 degrees outside is no fun. Also a lot of hills around that make mpg a challenge. Still - once a month fuel up is better than weekly!

13. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Finally figured out how to get into pure EV mode (thanks to the PriusChat FAQ). ICE did kick in this AM - due either to cold weather, or acceleration up a hill. Got 53 mpg. Coming home...paid more attention. 2.2 mi - 999 mpg. yay!

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did you do with the Trade in of the 2010 Prius? (If it is a personal question by all means don't answer)

Did you net any Money on the trade?

I'm thinking of trading my 2012 Prius when it is 3 years old for a new Pip. Just gauging if it is a blood bath, break even or make some money on the trade. I know each trade can be different.

15. reddavid

reddavid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For me, it was break-even. Dealer wouldn't come close to KBB (23k). They argue that they can never sell a used Prius for 26 or 28k. (but I'm sure they'll try!) I got 20k, which was basically the 'residual' from the lease. I bought it out last month, thinking I'd keep it for a couple more years. Probably not the most cost-efficient plan, but I still have fun plugging it in every night! Ran a dedicated outlet to that side of the garage yesterday.

JMD likes this.
  16. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm right behind you buddy. The PIP owners seem to enjoy there cars the most.

17. raimix

raimix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

18. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think one unexpected surprise for me was to learn that even in HV, mileage is improved by the larger battery capacity. It has been subzero here in Wisconsin and the ICE has been running regularly. I refuse to freeze to save a quarter on my way to work. But I notice that I'm averaging about 78 MPG using my regular driving patterns. Driving exactly the same way with my '08 Prius I got about 43-45 MPH during the dead of winter. I was happy with that. Now I'm just amazed.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sadly, there have been certain individuals trying to portray operation of the plug-in Prius as having no advantage once that engine begins to run. If you had encountered that greenwashing, it didn't seem to deter your purchase. Sweet. You clearly have discovered that's that what actually happens too. That proclamation of it being amazing, even in subzero termperatures, speaks volumes.

Anywho, we've been trying to spread the word about there being a plug-in benefit even with the engine running by using the term: "EV-BOOST". Do you think that is an informative way of describing it?

20. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Makes sense. BTW is ECO any more than a govenor? I noticed that today my ECO was off but I always use the HSI to make sure I'm in the "zone of proximal efficiency". Does ECO do anything to modify engine efficiency or just regulate acceleration?