1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

From the They're Hopeless file

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by JackDodge, Feb 12, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../602120372/1148

Two things that bother me the most about this issue: "GM said the issue stems from road salt in cold-weather states." Considering that GM is based in a cold weather state where cold damp weather and road salt are constants during the winter months, you'd think that they'd be able to build a car that wasn't susceptible to it. And, they can't do a good job when it's a recall. This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder where they get the nerve to say that their quality is on par with the Japanese. Unbelievable. Are they ever going to get their act together? What does GM stand for? Gigantic Mess?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's about the dumbest thing i've read this week.

sure, place the buyers of your vehicles in an unsafe situation, then tell them you're aware of the situation, then make them pay for it because they live in a certain state.

that's going to win your customers back year after year. no wonder they're going down in flames...

GM= gross mismanagement.

3. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Whoa, malorn, did Toyota sneakily buy the Detroit News while we slept? After reading this one, there's a link to yesterday's, entitled, "Turnaround Plan Lacks Magnitude and Creativity". That one does note that GM management did decide not to reward themselves with bonuses for 2005's performance (although they left the door open for '06 bonuses!).

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't we all own cars from a company which basically said, for nearly a year at least, "We know your car might die on the road. We'll fix it after it does, rather than before. Enjoy!"

5. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

Let me chime in here if I can. I have a 2002 Tahoe. I live in Oklahoma, one of the non-recall states. My ABS light started coming on at about 4-6 MPH. I talked to 2 brake repair places, who both told me GM has a major problem with the sensors. So I called GM customer service, and was told "Yes, there is a problem, and NO you aren’t covered under the recall, but you need to get it fixed for it to work properly". After talking/arguing with the representative for a good 15 minutes, he told me to take it to a dealer and have it "Diagnosed" and if it was a sensor, they would try to "help me out". So, the run around begins, I go to David Stanley here on OKC. The Service Advisor, (not tech) tells me they have never heard of the recall, there is no problem with the ABS system on a Tahoe, and their "Bible"(computer) as they called it showed no service bulletins and I was pretty much lying to them, but they could look at it next week. Even though I had all the contact/case #/& recall info in hand. I left there mad and humiliated, and to another dealer I go. After about an hour, City Chevrolet tells me the sensors appear to be ok, BUT, I need a new ABS Module/Computer. The Module is $800 bucks, even though I have the symptoms of bad sensors. So I call GM CS and he tells me he talked to City Chevrolet and the problem is not my sensors, so therefore GM cannot help me, Sorry. So now I am driving around with my ABS light on and not knowing if I've been lied too, or what, but I don't have $1000 extra dollars to "see if they can fix it" Oh and one more thing, City Chevrolet charged me $94.60 to tell me that it is a module problem, not a sensor problem. So now I'm still broke, and GM got a hundred bucks out of me to make it worse.

That's GM....! <_<

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A lot of us have similar horror stories which is why a lot of us drive Toyotas and won't even consider GM any longer. Cold comfort but welcome to the club :) Dianne can get you a great deal on a Hilander.

7. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

It sounds like the main problem is the GM dealers. One of them claimed the VIN determined who gets the recall, and it sounds like many others make the customer pay a probably inflated price rather than do a recall, even though GM seems to be saying everyone should get it free. It's a mess.

8. JKnight

JKnight Member

Oh, c'mon...it's just the brakes! If you need to stop, just zero in on a Prius and let the laws of physics take their course.

Oops, sorry...thought I was on a GM board.

Never mind.

Jan

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

We also have cars that when there was a recall, it was on all vehicles that were possibly affected, not just cars in some states.

11. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After a year or so. Once they got around to it. :)

12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think anyone was killed though. That has always been the determining factor in GM, Ford....number of lawsuits before they will participate in a recall. And consider manditory recalls as opposed to voluntary.

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do know that the Prius recall wasn't voluntary? The NHTSA had enough complaints to basically force Toyota into it.

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "manditory" recalls were not the only issue here. severity of issues requiring recalls is definitely an issue. considering the number of recalls I have had on my Toyotas and those I have had on Ford, as well as non-recall problems on GM and Hyundai vehicles, I think Toyota is well ahead in quality.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's what I had hoped for when I got the Prius. I've owned 2 GMs and one VW in the past, and I can honestly say the Prius is the lowest quality car out of the lot. Sad, but I've never had any of the other cars just die on me, or rattle like a tin full of pennies when I drive over rough pavement. :(

16. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I remember Ford issuing a recall on some metal bracket that holds the fuel tank... nobody had ever complained but Ford's own ongoing long-term testing revealed the problem, so they issued the recall before any accidents resulted from it.

The supplier of the bracket had silently switched to a cheaper material to increase profit, but that material would fail after some time. I'm sure Ford was pretty angry with them.