1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FRONT Blue Emblem replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by DeanFL, Jul 20, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What a simple job!

1. Three push clips to remove to get the top black plastic shroud panel off as shown in pictures. Only need a very small flat screwdriver to twist and pull up the small center portion which will release the pressure on the lower clip area - and simply pull off. Completely reusable.

2. Unless you have monster hands, simply reach through the open hood latch area and push in at least two of the plastic latches holding the chrome emblem into its three mounting holes. It will easily pull right off, once you manage to find the latches (tight space).

3. The blue/black plastic pulls right off the emblem. Clean the front and apply the film (aprox 4" X 7" - ANY color & pattern YOU want!). Trim with Exacto knife. Snap back into the emblem and clean.

4. Insert the three mounting posts into the socket and push in - click-click-click. It's in.

5. Place shroud panel into position and reinsert the three clips.

Done - it took me 25 minutes. Now, both front and back have the new carbon fiber emblems. I'm no longer blue - which clashed terribly with the red.

Attached Files:

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cool. Will this mod affect those with the AT package (as the radar is part of the emblem)?

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Excellent DIY instructions once again! Thanks.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is the front emblem metal or plastic?

Is it in fact flatter than the back emblem? (meaning using the normal front emblem from the sigma set won't work)

Any ideas how to gold chrome it? Is painting it the obvious solution?

Thanks....

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do they have this carbon fiber film in black (to provide more contrast between chrome and the backing)?

6. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dean, that looks FANTASTIC! I have a customer who would love this mod. I'm going to point him to this thread.

7. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

1. Thanks Jeff. Very pleased with the look. Your service dept / body shop should offer the emblem replacement as a service (commission on $$$ profit...)

2. Available film style/colors:
    Metro Decals

I went with them after a google and saw styles I liked. Price was certainly right and I had it in 4 days.

3. Emblem is plastic. Front larger than the rear but otherwise same. If you're set on gold for your Sandy Beach - it would be a simple job to spray paint it any shade, ie gold. Then a clearcoat. Should hold up very well to the elements I'd suspect.

4. The AT package - I did see on other threads indicating interference may be expected. My V is not AT so can't confirm.

Really - anyone that's slightly handy would be able to customize the emblems - the front one is so simple. The rear more involved as the inner hatch panel must be removed to access bolts for outer panel as noted in the other post.

8. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow Dean, Fantastic. Yet another awesome mod. Thanks to you I got the courage to pull the panels off the back hatch and re-route my aftermarket backup camera. Everything went smooth.

Thanks for being out in front on these mods.

G

1 person likes this.
  9. zippo

zippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was talking with a guy about tinting windows and other of these cosmetic modifications on Saturday. I mentioned changing the hardware emblems to change the chrome color to gold tones. He mentioned that it would be trivial for them to take the old emblems off, plate them with the gold tone and put them back on. So, you might check out a detail shop. I do not have any good measure on the reliability of this guy's information at this time. I was just asking a lot of questions to get information and this bit seemed . . . interesting.

10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I wondered if a body shop might not be able to do this cheaper than the $400 kit from sigmaautomotive. Sigma told me by e-mail the front emblem for the AT package is considered part of the $900 radar part, so it's not clear whether it's nearly so easy to take in and out as on the non-AT cars. I guess I'll have to break down and open up my hood! :D

11. santaclaraguy

santaclaraguy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice job!

SCG

12. drspielman

drspielman Grand Master Chief

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dean,

Very cool job. I want both of these on my car (coming this Saturday!!). It would match so well. Do you have the template to use? I think it would look great with my winter gray color... Awesome job.

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Caswell Inc. - Plug N' Plate® Brush Plating Systems, scroll down Gold Kit = $60

14. Dakine50

Dakine50 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome mod!!! Great PICS/DIY!!! Thanks for sharing!!!:rockon:

15. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Man, it's been so long ago, I almost forgot I did that. The blue clashed so badly with my red.

For you folks that would like to replace the front emblem backing at least - this mod is SO SIMPLE. Really. So don't let concern about ability etc to limit you. And only a very small screwdriver (to get the clasps up for the black shroud) is needed.

Now the rear emblem is another story....

16. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm still waiting to see some brave soul attack the front emblem on their AT radar equipped car. I know I don't want to be the first! :D

17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <------------------ My current avatar hasn't forgotten. It is still shaking with fear.

18. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Dean,

I did the mod and it was even easier than you said. I didn't remove the black shroud. There is a cutout area in the shroud just to the right of center. It is visible in one of your pictures. I was able to slip my hand through there and pop the badge right out.

Thanks for sending me the film. It looks great. I'd post a pic but it looks exactly like yours!

19. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looks great! With a red car the mod is almost a must. I do think the blue logo looks good on some other colors though.

20. bluemonday

bluemonday New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How reversible is this? I assume the film adheres to the badge? I wonder if something that didn't adhere could be used and held on by the top part of the logo/badge, and be durable, but also more easily reversible.