1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bumper bra, Which brand is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by problemchild, Jun 6, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One trip to the Sierras and my new car has two big stone chips in the front bumper. At this pace the whole front will be wiped out in 1-2 years. Im looking for a bra that fits and wont add damage (dirt under bra and scratches) to the car. What is the best brand and about what price are people paying? Where do you buy them?

Thanks for the 411 in advance....

2. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ventureshield

German engineering, lifetime guarantee, top of the line quality/reviews

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The clear plastic works as well as the black leather type bras? Im trying to deflect stones flying through the air at my car.

4. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The black vinyl will protect your car better from stones. The best brand is probably Colgan. That being said, I would still go with a 3M clear bra type product. It offers good protection and is easy to take care of (occasional coat of wax). If the vinyl bra gets wet you have to remove it as it will discolor the paint if allowed to dry on the car. Sand and dirt can get trapped under it which could cause scratching. Also, if not installed correctly, it can flap around at speed.

5. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a Colgan bra and a 3mm. The clear 3m goes about two thirds of the way up the hood.
    Both are a good quality and do the job. The black vinyl bras do need removing often for cleaning the car as dirt, etc. does get trapped.
    Not only does the hood need protecting but also the mirrors! Additionally I also put some left over clear on the rear where your hatch may hit the garage door and the bumper close to the open hatch.

6. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, Ventureshield(the best invisible bra) protects against rocks, bugs, etc. Besides, black bras look bad and mess up aerodynamics.
    --all of this (IMO) of course

7. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chris please tell me about your under dash led?
    Thanks

8. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Get a hood deflector if you can find one. The bra is a pain to take on and off and can leave a white residue on your paint after it gets wet. The clear film is much more expensive. Also I really don't see how a thin piece of film is going to protect the aluminum hood from road debris especially while going 70 MPH.

Any physics guru here could probably tell you the impact force of a stone being shot out of a tire of the vehicle in front of you when it hits your poor little thin aluminum hood while going 70MPH.

I would rather have a premium-grade acrylic device protecting my hood than a thin piece of clear film.

9. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess this thin film has been tested by shooting pellets at it... and imagine the
    right kind of thin plastic can stop it from denting in most cases. I remember seeing
    pics and it was quite impressive.

i am also considering some type of protection. i wonder what the films start pricing
    around?

10. eko

eko New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the 3M Clear Bra on my 2007 Tundra and have had zero problems so far. In fact will be having it installed on our new 2008 Prius after we pick it up next week. Down here in Florida it's a must have with our 2 lovebug seasons....

11. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would rather LOOK at a thin piece of thin clear film protecting my hood than a premium-grade acrylic device.

12. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The hood deflector actually makes the Prius LOOK so much better. The expensive clear film does nothing but cost you hundreds of dollars for very little protection and may eventually yellow in the sun.

13. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In your opinion, perhaps, but I find those deflectors to be butt ugly. If they are the exact same color as the vehicle they are somewhat more tolerable only because they don't stand out as much. I have had 3M Clear Bra on my FEH for over two years and it is as optically clear as the day it was installed. The cheap films probably do yellow, the quality ones do not. The film offers far more protection. I have my bumper, front portion of hood, A pillars, front portion of roof, rocker panels, headlights and fog lights done. How many of those areas does a deflector protect? How about the aerodynamic consequences? (Please cite something independent, not what the people pushing those things say.) Not only does it protect against stones, etc., but it also offers far superior protection against bugs. I recently had a large rock bounce off of a flatbed on an interstate and strike the hood of FEH where it was protected. It left a dent, but the rock probably would have broken a deflector. No, none, zero paint damage. $50 to the paintless dent guy and 10 minutes later, you would not know it ever happened.

14. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yikes. that clear plastic stuff will cost from 550-700 dollars to put on.
    how much is a new bumper or hood after 3 years? :-|

15. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whew....glad I didn't have to say it.
    :D

ZC1

16. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dude, seriously. That polyurethane film (clear bras like Ventureshield) is German engineered for the purpose of surface protection from debris, it protects a lot more surface area than just the hood, and it's invisible.

The premium-grade acrylic device protecting your hood is not OEM, only protecting a small surface area, probably bad with aerodynamics, and an eye sore (IMO)

Front end protection solutions should be a clear bra, preferably Ventureshield. Again, (IMO)

17. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't you mean new bumper, new fenders, new hood, and new mirrors after 3 years?
    That's what the clear bras protect. Those are the places debris strikes.

Ventureshield is lifetime guaranteed and will NOT yellow

18. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry, didn't catch this till now.

Here is more info and pics on my DIY under dash LED project.
    I will, but have not written up a full process report yet.

19. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you can stand the look of a black vinyl bra, then do what I did.
    Put an inexpensive version of the 3M product ($30? for full kit, $45? for 20ft uncut roll) on your car and place the bra over the top. I used the Toyota bra, perfect fit but a bit skimpy on the hood compared to other bras. This bra will not be removed for years, wet or shine.
    I didn't pick the LeBra, I saw the stitching and knew it's not the one I wanted. I ordered the Colgan, but didn't like the checkerboard pattern plus some poster said it didn't fit very well.
    The Toyota has no faults that I can see, except as mentioned it doesn't cover much of the hood, but it does have a hood lip that redirects the air UP.

Now the layers are such:
    Metal
    Paint
    ClearCoat
    4 coats of Zaino (after a couple clays)
    The .3mil easily removable clear bra
    A Toyota Bra

Here are some cell phone pics.
    Total cost, about $200 (maybe $10-15 more)
    Time: I did it myself, 3-4 days worth.

ZC1

Attached Files:

20. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry EZ1, but...

Ewwwwwww :yuck: