1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Bumper cover removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbprius01, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jbprius01

jbprius01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can someone please post the instructions for the front bumper cover removal on a 2005 Prius please?

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is this something one could do at home?

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bumper cover is easy to remove once you work through all the bolts. It can easily be removed, worked on, and put back on the car in the matter of hours. I have done it a few times and I'm about to do it again shortly.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just took mine off and reinstalled it today because I am going to do some modifications to my Fog Lights, which are now off the car. It started snowing right in the middle of my work, which is a little out of season around here.

Here is what you do. All scews have 10 mm hex heads. You need to remove about 5 screws securing the under body liner across the front of the car indicated by Red arrows. You will not be completely removing the under body liner, it will still he held in place at the rear.

Then remove about 9 screws holding the black body strip under the front bumper and one holding the wheel well liners at bottom of bumper cover just in front of wheel wells indicated by Yellow arrows.

Un snap the wheel well liner from bumper cover and part front part of fender to access one scew inside bumper cover securing it to front fender on each side at location of Orange arrow.

Open the hood an remove the upper radiator protection cover indicated by the Green area. It is held with about 7 or 8 clips. The center of these clips look like the are designed to accept a phillips screwdriver, but I am not sure why. What you do is get a very small flat blade screwdriver and place it into one of the three notches around the center phillips head looking part of each clip and raise the middle of the clip while holding the outside perimeter of the clip down. The center part only need to pop up about 1/8 inch and then the whole clip can be lifted out. Most of these clips you can also reach around behind and push up on the center part while holding the outer part down.

Then remove three clips and two screwed on bumpers from top of bumper cover in locations indicted by Blue arrows.

Carefully jiggle both sides of the bumper cover out of the clips four clips at Purple arrows holding each side to the fenders.

Finally,gently pull the bottom of the bumper cover out of 9 clips at the bottom where you removed the 9 screws inidcated by Yellow arrows and then carefully remove clips along top of bumper cover.

If there are Fog Lamps, you need to pull the connectors off the back of the bulbs as you pull the bumper cover free from the car.

[​IMG]

Trunks likes this.
  6. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you!! I could do this.

Anybody have a 2004-2008 Super White front bumper cover to spare?

7. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to say, I think you will be hard pressed to fine a used bumper cover. Any wrecking yard having a Prius wreked in the back, if the front bumper cover is good, then the front fenders and hood are also probably good. The wrecking yard will want to sell the whole front of the car as a set they call a "doghouse". I guess a Prius hit in the side might be a posibility.

Google "The Prius Parts Guy" and ask him if he has any front bumper covers. I think a new one is about $250 unpainted and by the time you get it painted, maybe about $400 if you find a shop to work with you.

8. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unpainted. . . Thinking: Sensor dish, forward phasers and torpedo launchers, tractor beam emitters, Zhang Heng in Chinese characters . . .

Whatever it is, ain't gonna be no ordinary paint job.

What color is unpainted? Its black plastic, no? Flat black might actually look cool.

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here you can get one for $108 but it is not genuine Toyota. I guess it would be black, but you would have to aske them Toyota Prius Front Bumper Cover 2004-2006

Just Google Prius Bumper Cover, and a bunch of stuff comes up.

10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How about:

Fog or driving lights
    Thermal IR camera ~ NIGHTDRIVER - Making Driving Safer At Night.
    12 volt winch.
    Concealed Radar detector
    Deer whistles
    Paintball cannon
    Underbody or behind grill accent lights.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...or an electrically-actuated grill blocker!
    So has anyone done a really explicit step-by-step pictorial on
    disassembly of the nose? I might, if there's a need.
    _H*

12. jared.boone

jared.boone New Member

NoMoShocks: Great post! Thanks for the detailed instructions and the picture. I found them very helpful. However, I had to do it slightly little differently. You wrote: "remove about 5 screws securing the under body liner across the front of the car indicated by Red arrows" and then "remove about 9 screws holding the black body strip under the front bumper".

After removing the first set of screws, I had to pull the black plastic under body liner down from behind the black body strip in order to gain access to the second set of screws, because they are "hidden" above the body liner.

13. xna

xna New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I broke the clips indicated by the purple arrows. Is there a way to replace them without removing the whole cover? Also, do you know what clips those are?