1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Bumper Replacement instructions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maxny1, Dec 4, 2017.

1. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ordered a prepainted front bumper and the two missing left/right fog light covers to repair our 08 prius.

I found a few threads saying it's not hard to diy, but no actual instructions or list of needed tools.

This video seems helpful, but what is that wrench tool he is using at 5:36? link doesnt seem to be working, its "Remove Front Prius Bumper JB WELD repair" on youtube.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's a basic ratchet/socket combo; most likely a 10mm socket.

I will also say, if you don't recognize basic hand tools, that might be a sign to let someone else do the wrenching.;)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why does the front bumper need replacement, did it involve a significant hit? What bothers me (and this is one more reason I never buy used): if the front bumper is significantly damaged, could there be more damage, to the car's framework, the AC condensor, engine/inverter radiators,, whatever?

I appreciate it could be pure cosmetic, but my approach regardless, would be to let a professional body shop assess the damage, propose a solution.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All you need will be 10mm socket and a phillips screwdriver. 1 bolt in each of the fenders. The rest are on the bumper cover when you lift the hood. Then just slip off the cover....it's just clipped onto place

5. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a vague idea it was a socket wrench. I have been able to service non-user serviceable items like home appliances and supposedly non-openable ultrabooks, so this seems within my abilities ;)

But I'm not sure what liners/underside covers I need, what source is reliable, or whether I really need them. Even if I take it in to be fixed, I presume I will save some markup on the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been serviced incl at a Toyota Dealership, since accident, they said the damage was just cosmetic and took care of other standard work at the time, I think cooling tank and belt. Thanks btw to this forum I was able to confirm they were playing straight with us.

Family member who holds title and had the collision (i think she said slow moving against some stones in her driveway) has been procrastinating the body work.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you sure you need the fog light covers? All Gen 2s have that circular metal enclosure for the fog lights, but unless your car actually had them (as can be confirmed by looking at the head light stalk on the steering column) there is no point in buying the covers. Those enclosures are covered by the plastic grill for a Gen 2 Prii without fog lights. If you really have a Model 2, I don't think you have fog lights.

7. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure grille comes in 3 parts for both the standard and fog light models, center is same for both but the left/right covers are different:

Non-fog light passenger side grille cover:
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side grille cover with hole for fog lights:
    [​IMG]
    Grille center: [​IMG]

davecook89t likes this.
  8. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a vague idea it was a socket wrench. I have been able to service non-user serviceable items like home appliances and supposedly non-openable ultrabooks, so this seems within my abilities ;)

But I'm not sure what liners/underside covers I need, what source is reliable, or whether I really need them. Even if I take it in to be fixed, I presume I will save some markup on the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been serviced incl at a Toyota Dealership, since accident, they said the damage was just cosmetic and took care of other standard work at the time, I think cooling tank and belt. Thanks btw to this forum I was able to confirm they were playing straight with us.

Family member who holds title and had the collision (i think she said slow moving against some stones in her driveway) has been procrastinating the body work.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ah, I was confusing "cover" with "lens". The fog light lenses are quite expensive (more than $100 at the dealer, I believe. One of mine is cracked, so I inquired about replacing it, decided to live with it when I found out how much it cost). I'm guessing your car doesn't have fog lights because I don't see the socket that the bulb would fit into, so you would need the cover without the opening (but I could be wrong).

10. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I need to know, though, exactly which and how many liners/splash guards I need, and whether I will need new fastners.
    I think this one is busted, "Engine Splash Shield Under Cover Plastic, 429-44102-03 TO1228141 5144747010," but someone said they are optional and reduce airflow? This is the part on the underside that connects directly to the front bumper cover, right, or is there another black plastic piece on front?
    [​IMG]
    Then this "Left Fender Liner Splash Shield Assembly Front Driver Side LH, TO1250116 OEM 5387647020" appears to be busted too:
    [​IMG]

So between those two (which I dont know where to source, Amazon reviews for those liners are bad), and the bumper, maybe this is not a job for diy without previous auto experience? Or do I not need the splash guard anyway?

11. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They look to me like the pieces that the bumper cover attaches to, from the front and the sides. I believe you need both, if you want the bumper cover to attach as it did leaving the factory. I'm sure the car would still be driveable without them, but if you care about how the car looks, I think you will want to replace them.

12. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Are there any recommended sources/vendors around here? Amazon had many options for the grilles but not the splash guard or driver/passenger fender liner splash gaurds.

Also are there any online sources or pdf's of the relevant parts of the service manual?

I need to determine which fasteners i need, whether i need the fastner remover tool, etc.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  14. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    >This is my go-to site. Just feed in your vehicle data, year, model, then drill down, pretty easy.

>McGeorge Toyota Parts Online | Your Source for Genuine Toyota online parts | parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

>Bumper specific:

>Bumper & Components - Front for 2008 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

>Fender specific:

>Fender & Components for 2008 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Or you could try these:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Toyota/Prius/Replacement/Fender_Liner/2007/Touring/4_Cyl_1-dot-5L/T222166.html

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Toyota/Prius/Replacement/Engine_Splash_Shield/2007/Touring/4_Cyl_1-dot-5L/REPT310120.html

For the manual, I'll point you to an earlier thread:

service manual/repair manual | PriusChat

The fasteners should be available at your dealer at a nominal cost. I know Harbor Freight has some useful tools for pulling fasteners, etc.

maxny1 likes this.
  15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would just start taking the thing apart. Once you've removed the damaged parts, you can decide which are reusable and which have to be replaced. The car will work with the bumper/linings removed, so you don't have to have everything figured out before starting.

You can buy a socket set at any hardware store, or Harbor Freight for the cheapest I've found. If you can't figure out part numbers, just take the old part to the dealer.

If you can't fix it, you can still either live with it or take the half done job to a mechanic who can finish the job. It will still probably be cheaper than having a dealer do the entire job.

Mendel Leisk, maxny1 and davecook89t like this.
  16. maxny1

maxny1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for that. The diagrams are useful.

I took another look at the vehicle, I know I need the valence/spoiler, engine undercover, and the bolt and grommet that goes up through the valence and engine cover corner- in addition to the bumper and grill parts which have arrived already. I think I can reuse all the rest of the clips, but we'll see.

If it weren't winter and/or there was an indoor garage, I'd pick up a socket wrench set and try this myself. Video looks relatively straightforward. But as it is 25F out, we'll probably use a pro.

Mendel Leisk likes this.