1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front bumper scratched Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by needaprius, Oct 29, 2011.

1. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today I have noticed my front bumper got scratched on the driver's side:mad::mad::mad:I might have off my senses while parking I guess. What are my options and how can I fix. I find on the forums that buffing would help to remove scratches? Where can I get buffing done without breaking a bank? or is it DIY sort of thing? If it is a DIY project what are the tools and tackles I would be needing?
    Please share your thoughts.
    TIA

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take a picture and show us what you got

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it showing black plastic? If so, then buffing will not help. The best DIY option is to buy a spray can of paint. Mask the scratch and put a couple of light coats of paint on it. Buff it down and then spray with a clear coat.

1 person likes this.
  4. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, it is not black. It is white as if the outer silver coating pealed off.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the silver has peeled off, then you can't buff it back on.:D Has the silver been rubbed off, or is it white paint from whatever rubbed on the bumper?

If you post a picture, you should get some useful advice.

Also, is your requirement perfection or a good 20 foot job?

6. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is the picture.

Please let me know:
    1. How much it may cost to get it back to decent?Can anyone do a good job in and around to atlanta area? Any info would be helpful?
    2.If it can be done DIY? what are all the tools I would need and where to find.
    Please let me know

Attached Files:

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That quite a bit of scratches. Since it is only in the clear coat, you can try hitting the area with rubbing compound, use a solvent to clean the area very well, apply a touchup pen for the two spots where black is visible, then spray a couple of very light coats of clear, wait a week, then buff and wax. It is probably $250-$500 at a bumper shop, whether you take it in now, or if it looks like hell after your try and you can't stand it.

1 person likes this.
  8. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the response.
    I am bit new. Hence the questions.
    rubbing compound: brand and where to buy?
    solvent : Brand and where to buy?
    touchup pen: Brand and where to buy?
    spray a couple of very light coats of clear: Did not understand this
    buff: what should I buy and where?
    wax: Brand and where to buy?

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree. And since it's down low sort of out of the main line of vision, he should use the rubbing compound sparingly, just enough to get the whitish areas looking good, not enough to make them perfectly smooth. He would probably go through the clearcoat and maybe the silver if he tried to rub it to perfection.

10. tomtomsf

tomtomsf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had some similar scratches in the same area. Not as deep or large. The local shop wanted $1000 to fix it properly (painting and clear coating the entire front bumper), or $600-700 for a minor fix -masking the damaged quadrant and painting & clear coating only that section. They said that would leave a visible line. Either choice would require 3 days in the shop. I decided to touch it up with a paint pen from the dealer for $12. It isn't too noticeable, but mine was not as bad as yours.

Tom G.

1 person likes this.
  11. needaprius

needaprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went local boxmart and bought 3M scratch removal system. If any of you used such systems please let me know. I am not sure what to use and how to use, so any tips would be very helpful. I have contacted some local shop and they told they would charge $350 to take out the scratch. It seems its an expensive mistake.

tomtomf: For my prius ( silver) what color pen should I ask. The local shop is asking less than the quote you got. But it is still expensive for me. So I would like to try DIY route. Any help is appreciated.

seilerts: Could you please let me know?
    rubbing compound: brand and where to buy?
    solvent : Brand and where to buy?
    touchup pen: Brand and where to buy?
    spray a couple of very light coats of clear: Did not understand this
    buff: what should I buy and where?
    wax: Brand and where to buy?

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, then they're probably too deep to buff out.

You might try something called Dr. Color Chip (I think that's the name), it's a product used for filling stone chips. You wipe it on liberally, then use a special cloth that takes up the excess and sets the paint. From what I've heard, it works surprisingly well, and you don't have to be precise like with a touch up pen.

$350 is not an expensive quote for this sort of damage, BTW. It may be out of your price range, but it's reasonable, in my opinion. As long as the repair is done well, that is.

13. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rubbing Compound: 3M
    Solvent: Duplicolor Prep Spray
    Touchup paint for black spots: Toyota
    Clear coat: Duplicolor Perfect Match Premium Clear Coat

Mask off everything, and make sure that your arm is already moving before you start to spray the clear. Duplicolor has some good how-to videos on their web site.

2 people like this.
  14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good advice. But if the poster has never done anything like this before, what do you think the odds are that (s)he'll end up with the quality of repair (s)he's hoping for?

Anyway, I hope it works out for the best.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The mobile bumper guys that my local dealer in Sacramento uses for their used cars could probably sand and respray + clear that bumper for $200, if not less.

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a good question. Minor scratches for sure I suggest using one of the little clear coat paint pen/magic marker things. Deep scratches requiring body filler and sanding, a pro is the best bet. Something like this, it really depends on expectations, but it should be to the point where needaprius can drive to the in-laws house and not have to hear all about "what happened to your bumper?" If needaprius is not satisfied in the end, the primary loss is $25 for materials and a couple hours of time.

17. tomtomsf

tomtomsf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The paint touch up pen comes from your Toyota dealer. You have to give them the paint color code of your car which can be found on the drivers side door jam. It is a number/letter combination.

Be aware that you will not get a very professional look and your damaged area is pretty large. Honestly, $350 to fix that isn't too terrible (my quote was 2-3 times that amount for a MUCH smaller scratch).

This is the second time I heard The Critic mention the "mobile bumper guys". They sound like a great alternative to the very high priced dealer. I don't think we have them around here in San Francisco, do we?

Tom G.

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would call the dealers and ask them who they send their used cars too. Usually they are more than willing to share. Colors on parade is a franchise that I've also seen around but I do not have any personal experience.

MB860 ?

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Colors on Parade