1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Bumper Smashed...help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by baxi137, Sep 28, 2006.

1. baxi137

baxi137 New Member

Hi all,

The front bumper of my 2 week old prius was smashed into while parked in a parking lot. And of course the evildoer left no note. Does anyone know of a good body shop in Los Angeles, or the LA area? A place that would be reasonable in price, yet not shoddy work. Thanks in advance!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not from LA, so i can't help you there... however, for body work you should probably talk to your dealer first. There are precautions that need to be taken to ensure the computers and batteries aren't damaged during the body work (welding produces a lot of heat that can funnel in an burn things out), and a random shop may not know of them, and inadvertantly cause you more problems.

Good luck, it's always sad to hear about a hurt Prius, but at least you weren't in the car or hurt too.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :( BAD LUCK... Creeps *NEVER* leave notes.

I believe you will find that the damaged part is the "bumper cover" made of a "styrofoam-like" material with a smooth, painted surface. These are designed to absorb the impact to a point. If you remove the "towing-eye" cover (small round plug on the driver's side), you can see the inner construction. Most likely it will need to be replaced and repainted - and will look like new with a good paint job.

The advice above to go to the Dealer for his recommendation and work is the best way to go.

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Sep 28 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]325194[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the bumper cover is made from plastic. The styrofoam you see is part of the actual bumper. Take a look at the pictures of my bumper cover.

You will have to scroll down a bit to see the pictures.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...&hl=spoiler

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bistagne Brothers in Glendale did some excellent work on my Miata about ten years ago, but I haven't lived in SoCal for years, so things might have changed.

I can tell you that Bistagne Bros. is an LA institution, and has been family operated for I think two or three generations now. Location was near the 134 freeway, if memory serves correctly.