1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front caliper bleeding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GhostmanOn3rd, Apr 3, 2023.

1. GhostmanOn3rd

GhostmanOn3rd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know my front right caliper is sticking on my gen2. Can I get away with swapping out the caliper and doing a regular bleed on the single caliper if I only swap one caliper? If so, I’ll likely go ahead and swap the left. Thanks for any insight.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What kind of bleeding you might "get away with" may depend on how carefully and effectively you can prevent fluid running out of the disconnected brake line and air proceeding up toward the actuator. Things are simpler if the air is only down at the caliper.

Have you looked over this thread to learn about tools that will let you use the actual bleed procedure? :

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

3. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    the front brakes doesn't need a scan tool (or techstream) for bleeding, it can be done using the conventional method. You only need the scan tool for bleeding the rear brakes since it's electronically controlled (ABS pump) No need to bleed both if you're only working one 1 side, unless you lose a lot of brake fluid and introduced air in the master cylinder.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, sometimes you can get away with bleeding a front caliper that way, if you were careful enough and effectively prevented fluid running out of the disconnected brake line and air proceeding up toward the actuator.