1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Clearance Sensor question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by supertomtom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. supertomtom

supertomtom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys, quick question regarding the front clearance sensor. With the rear sensor, the beeping stops once you put the car into park. However, with my front clearance sensor, the beeping doesn't stop even if it's in park, it only stops once the car is turned off. Is this just the way it is? Or is it a settings issue?

Thanks.

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i didn't even know they had a beeping sensor thats cool. My car sensors must just make a crunching noise when i get to close to things.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    http://www.amazon.com/Superior-26-6331-Duplex-Feeler-Chrome/dp/B00029K702/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

4. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

:confused:

Not aware of any (front or back) clearance sensors on the G3 Prius. Is this an aftermarket thing? Would love to have one on the front to prevent crunching things when I pull into a parking space...

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The OP is either in Australia or Canada, I am not sure which. (heck, perhaps he has a Prius on both continents) Perhaps he has different options where ever in the world he is. Perhaps someone in one of those places know if the option for sensors is offered there.

6. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It says he's in Toronto, Canada...thought the options for North America were pretty much all the same?

7. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Do you have another source of information? His listing says Australia/Toronto, Canada. Australia isn't the name of a suburb up there, is it?

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are referring to the sensors for the 'Radar Cruise Control', and 'Parking Assist', and they are beeping when the car is in park, then you have a defective sensor, or some other issue with the system that Toyota should inspect.

If you have an aftermarket sensor that is beeping, I would contact that manufacturer. In any case, if you car is beeping once you are in Park, and you cannot determine it's cause, I would visit my dealer, to ensure that there is not a larger issue that I am missing.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He's from Australia and he's talking about his Australian-spec Prius I-Tech model.

I can't remember if you said it was a dealer-installed Toyota accessory or whether it was a 3rd party system installed by the dealer. Either way, you'll have to speak with the dealer about the beeps. I don't have any experience with Toyota OEM clearance sensors (so far, only certain Lexus models in Canada as well as the Toyota Sienna XLE Limited minivan have clearance sensors).

10. supertomtom

supertomtom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry for the confusion guys, I'm in Australia now, and it is the i-Tech model, dealer installed. We have the front and rear clearance sensor as part of the genuine Toyota optional accessory here in Australia (first two items). I guess I'll have a chat with them to see what's up with that.

11. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Now it says: Gold Coast, Australia

It did say: Toronto, Canada.

12. supertomtom

supertomtom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, sorry again, I go between Gold Coast, Australia and Toronto, Canada, but changed it to just GC, Australia now since this is where my Prius is at. Didn't mean to confuse you guys! :p

13. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ave the front and rear sensors fitted ex dealer.
    The front sensor has a switch down next to the solar fan and headlight washers and you need to turn it on and off there. Bit of a pain in the a as other cars I have driven with front sensors only work up to a certain speed but if you leave the Prius sensors on you can get some spurious beeping from them at various speeds or when it rains etc.
    The distance they start continuous beeping at is about 60 cm so you have plenty of time to react.
    I used mine in Sydney to go down into a very tight underground parking lot and they were great. Also used them to park as close to the house where we stayed in Katoomba as I was trying to get far enough up the drive to avoid parking with the back wheels on the steep slope of the drive. Forgot to turn them off when I truend of the car so the next time I started up I had this beeping which threw me at first until I noticed the little light in the forward sensor switch waqs on.
    David