1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front defroster cutting off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by royalbulldog, Jan 23, 2014.

1. royalbulldog

royalbulldog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Last week the front defroster in my 2009 cut off after about 10-15 minutes. The indicator light on the dash went off, but under the climate control screen, it still showed it was on. After about 10 minutes I was able to get it to come back on. This is now happened every time the defroster was on since last week. Yesterday morning it was only on for about 5 minutes before cutting off. I took it to the dealership today, but after running it for 45 minutes on high with auto a/c, they said it stayed on the whole time. Has anyone had a similar issue?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the indicator light in the combination meter turns off, does the front defroster stop working? When you put your hand by the windshield defroster vents, do you still feel air flow or not?

If the defroster function actually stops working, then the air conditioner amplifier probably is faulty.

If the defroster continues to work and the only issue is that the combination meter indicator light goes off when it should not, then this sounds like a data communications problem between the A/C amplifier, the Gateway ECU, and the combination meter ECU. This may be a painful issue to figure out.