1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Disc Brake Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by halpos4, Dec 13, 2008.

1. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My Prius Taxi just had it's 195,000klm service yesterday,I had a call from the Service Dept to tell me that the front discs needed replacement and so the pads would need to be replaced also as a matter of course also the rear pads needed to be replaced also[first change]
    I have to say i have a good relationship with my Toyota Dealer and they were surprised to find that the discs would cost €202[$270]plus VAT....EACH!!
    Because of the price they said they would only charge 1/2 labour[labor]to replace discs and pads and the parts guy said he would cut the cost of the discs.....They hadn't got discs in stock but the service tech said that the pads had enough MEAT on them [albeit a ridge on them] to perform ok.

Any thoughts from our PC Techies would be appreciated.

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Something's wrong!

In the States, all 4 front OEM brake pads generally cost between $50 to $60. The rear discs must be in the same price range (we still get rear drum brakes here). If your dealer said you still have some meat on them, I'd start Internet shopping for parts.

Good luck.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since halpos4 has a European model, please note that North American brake parts will not fit. The European front disc is thicker than the North American front disc, and the European rear brake is disc vs. North America that is equipped with an inexpensive drum.

halpos4, did you inquire as to the reason for the front discs needing replacement: is it that the minimum disc thickness has been reached, or is it due to rust and corrosion marring the disc surfaces?

6. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Patrick,
    Yeah,the discs have reached their minimum thickness,i can't stress enough how well i get on with the lads in the service dept,they're always very open and bring me into the workshop to show me exactly what's up even to the point of changing the transaxle fluid for free because they hadn't any in stock at my 180,000klm service[they rang me a couple of days later by the way]
    I was,as they were a little shocked as to the cost per disc and obviously i'm looking to get the work done as cheap as i can but i would prefer to use quality parts,i was unaware that there was a difference in US/European disc spec,
    I would appreciate any info you could supply to source European compatible discs,

Regards.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi halpos4,

I had believed that the Euro front discs are different than the NA front discs (maybe that was the case for Classic only). However, pls use the link provided by donee in post #3 above, and set the parameters for your RHD 2006 UK model. I've done so below:
    http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2006_TOYOTA_PRIUS_NHW20R-AHEEBW_4303.html

That shows MSRP of 73.26 euros for part number 43512-47030. I suggest you confirm with your shop what part number they are looking for.

The same part number is also reported for the North American model, so maybe I am wrong about there being a difference between Europe and NA front discs. The price for that part at my favorite dealer in Houston, TX is $73 each plus shipping.
    Champion ToyotaWorld

I am unaware of European sources for Toyota parts. Good luck.

8. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Patrick......YOU THE MAN!!

9. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just an update on the above,
    Found a Toyota/Lexus Genuine Parts Dist in the UK and with a weak Sterling vs Euro i got 2 front discs and 1 set of pads + shipping for €231[$323]Ordered on 17/12 and received today 24/12 via UPS,Ah,the wonders of the interweb!!

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please let us know the part numbers of the discs and pads. I'd like to see whether the European Prius has the same or different front brake parts vs. the North American model.

11. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Patrick,
    Happy Christmas to you and yours,

The Front Disc Part No:43512-47030 is the same for European/NA Models,
    However the Front Pad Set Part No:04465-OWO80 [European Model]didn't match with Champion Toyotas Parts database,

Regards.

12. prius2go

prius2go Member

I'm doing this now
    discs down to 20.2mm - ok thats 0.2mm of life left but pads need changing too

Where's the best place to buy?
    Anyone done a cross check with Corolla Avensis etc

13. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi prius2go,
    You don't say where you are,
    I posted the part numbers for the discs which is the same for European/NA cars in an earlier post in this thread,if you're in the US the part number for the pads are different,maybe Patrick could help out there.

14. prius2go

prius2go Member

I'm not far from you halpos4 ;)

Ive read the disc replacement instructions and it only says to replace if discs are at or below 20 mm. I'm not sure how long it will take me to use up the spare 0.2 mm as I'm fitting new pads.

15. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The discs will probably wear quicker than the pads and then when you replace the discs it's prudent to replace the pads also,so personally i'd bite the bullet and change the discs now,i think it's a false economy to just replace the pads if the discs are nearly down to their minimum thickness.
    I replied to you in your other thread with a contact and part numbers.

16. prius2go

prius2go Member

but if 0.2mm of disc equates to one set of pads , I should wait?
    I thought discs lasted forever and pads were consumables?

17. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think with the Prius it's the other way round,when i changed the mine before Christmas there was plenty of "meat" left on the pads,infact i still have them and really it's was hard to tell the difference between them and new but i put new pads in with the new discs,for the sake of £40 or thereabouts.
    Did you get the other info,contact,part numbers?