1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Finder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jezroj, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On several pictures, I see the Front End Finder that looks like a cellular antenna, where are those available. Judging where the front of the car is, is not easy.

2. c4

c4 Active Member

The sloping front end does make judging where the front of your car is difficult at first, but at least with the large window, you can actually see the objects in front, and you quickly learn to judge the distance.. A marker would definitely make things easier, but is there anything more elegant available than an "antenna"?? Certainly, it works, but it looks odd on the vehicle...

Speaking of parking issues, I've got a Classic, and I find that the rear visibility is *horrible* (this is actually a general complain about all the "nice person-in-the-air", high-rear deck auto designs of the past few years from all makers, not just Toyota- certainly you gain some trunk space, but I can't tell how far I am from obstacles (this is different than the front end issue because due to the high rear, I can't actually see many of the obstacles behind me when backing up) when backing up because of this)..

My very first mod when getting the car was to put in a back-up sonar- I wanted the camera, but I would have needed too many other modifications (it's an 01 Classic, which would have needed the MFD mod for video input, etc), whereas the sonar kit was $30 and really, just as effective in telling me how far I am from objects behind me.. In the beginning I thought about putting another sonar transducer in the front as well, but as I said, with the front, you eventually learn to judge the distance available..

3. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

Take a look at the attachment. Contact me if you would like more information. The staff can be painted to match the car color. It attaches to the front license bracket.

4. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found that when I switched from a pickup to the Prius that I had a hard time adjusting to no hood.. I bought, as you thought, a fake cellular antenna and one of ToothYoda's bulbs.. it helps me and makes people look twice..

Bob Andersen

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think that device would last about 30 seconds if I parked in town. At the very least someone would pretend it was a mini punching bag.

but...hey...if it works for you...that's great!

6. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [Broken External Image]:http://toyota.jp/prius/dop/function/image/10-p01.jpg

They have a fixed (as shown above) as well as an automatic models. But these are not exactly front end finder, they are more like corner pole markers. Will they do?

Look for my upcoming JDM group-buy in the Sponsored Commercial Forum.

7. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would be very interested in the automatic corner finders if they were fairly easy to install.

8. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Ken, that's the thing, I have no clue how easy it is to install these corner pole markers. Also, these are to be installed onto the opposing side of the driver, which means that we will be installing these on the opposite side of what they are engineered for originally. Will the automatic one still function & fit properly? I am not 100% sure although my source in Japan thinks that it should work just fine. All these uncertainties further delay my JDM group-buy......

9. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is there a way to see the install instructions for them? That would give us an idea of how tough it would be and potentially whether they would work correctly in a left-hand drive car.

10. Areometer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hear what you say. I have no source for just the manual unfortunately. If our Prius friends in Japan can help out, this will be great. I have no doubt that the static (non-automatic) one will fit just fine.

11. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S\";p=\"82774)</div>
    Ken, I don't leave the bulb on the antenna..I put it on to take the picture.. the antenna by itself doesn't stand out that much.. I think if I lost it today I really now know where the front of the car is.. I got the antenna on sale for a $1.99 so I wouldn't be out much...

Bob Andersen