1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 15PriusTN, Feb 6, 2018.

1. 15PriusTN

15PriusTN New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I just bought a 2015 1 owner Prius Five with only 39k miles. I bought the car in mid January from a local multi brand dealer.

I drove it for about 500 miles and noticed a noise that sounded like a bad wheel bearing hum coming from the front left wheel. The tires were Goodyear’s but needed replaced so they replaced them with Michelin’s. The noise didn’t change.. but progressively started to sound worse. So I called up the Toyota I purchased it from and they said to bring it by.

They called me a few hours later and said they replaced both wheel bearings as they found the left one bad and it was still making the noise after they fixed it so they replaced the other but noticed the noise was still there. They said there was a TSB regarding the axles but didn’t go into detail so they ordered new axles. I took the car back and they said it wouldn’t only be a few hours.. so a few hours later they call tell me the noise was yet still there they even took wheels off a new Prius to eliminate that and upon discussion with Toyota they recommended replacing the transmission. So they replaced the transmission.. I picked the car up today they told me prior to leaving that the noise was gone and put it on the work order as well. They mentioned that any noises that I may find odd are a normal part of a hybrid to not be alarmed.

So upon taking the car back I drive it down the road. Yet again at 55-62 where it’s most prominent going straight and worst taking right hand curves but almost vanishes going around left hand curves the same noise is still there. No worse, no better. The same.

They said every moving part that could be causing the noise was replaced that it’s safe to drive and I have nothing to worry about. I don’t believe this... sorry for the lengthy post but I’m lost.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    maybe a cvt? not sure if axle replacement includes those.
    sure sounds like a lot of parts replacement for a 2015 with 39k.
    do you think they really changed the tranny? that's a huge and expensive job, not to be done lightly.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you have a warranty on your car?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it's time to replace all the suspension/brake parts. Then the engine....Dang this will be a brand new car soon.

Shane Burns and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. 15PriusTN

15PriusTN New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes everything has been covered under the power train warranty

6. 15PriusTN

15PriusTN New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I always wonder this too.. I dropped my car off for th axles on Wednesday of last week. And my car was ready this Monday evening. I wonder because it took over a week for my axles to come in that had to be ordered but only 6 days for my transmission to come in and be replaced.

7. 15PriusTN

15PriusTN New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree.. when I got home I called them back and said it was still making the same noise. They called me back 6 hours later and said everything was fine with it. Every moving part has been replaced that the Toyota rep would be in town in a week or two and I could have him check it out.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a good plan. have you driven another to compare sounds?

have they given you paperwork for all the repairs?

plug your vin into the toyota owners website for vehicle history.

9. 15PriusTN

15PriusTN New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes they have given me all of the paperwork. I have not driven another one as of now and I will do that now I wasn’t aware I could

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they have any other gen 3's on the lot, you can certainly ask the service manager or tech to ride with you in both cars and listen to the sounds.