1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Masks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by blubrid, Jan 2, 2004.

1. blubrid

blubrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I want a plain ol' (black) front end mask for my '04. My dealer says it's not yet available, and I've searched a bit (in vain) online.

Has anyone found one? If not, does anyone have an eta?

Thanks,

2. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Front End Mask

Gang,

Just found out that the Front End Mask is now available for the 04 Prius.
    Put my order in through Carson Toyota....

Just thought I would pass this along...

3. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Re: Front End Mask

I have been asking at my dealer and their catalog just says "Not yet available"

I'll check back with them now. Thanks!

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    mask causing paint to lift off in hot sun

Hi: About those black front end masks for Prii. Years ago, I bought something like this for my VW Beetle and found that sunlight caused the black vinyl to heat the paint underneath to such an extenct that the paint actually started coming off the car. I don't know if these new masks will create the same problem or not. Likely, there have been enough advances in car paint technology to insure that the paint will take the heat, so to speak.
    Bob

5. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Gang,
    Just to let you know I have a 2004 Prius font end mask in my hot hands... so I know that they can be gotten.

I will let you know how the install went...

later

6. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

Bras

Just a word of warning. The bra (mask) can trap minute grainy particles under it scratching the paint. Also (and I know this first hand) the paint under the bra will not fade naturally at the same rate as that uncovered. So, when you remove the bra, you will have a 2-tone car.

7. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: Bras

I sort of have a two tone car now... paint chips... any system that will block UV will cause paint fade diff's.. On Prius '02 I did not see any scratching with the mask, but did not use a microscope to check.. but in Texas you can have the same problen just from the sand storms.

I have mine to cut down on the paint chips... and there for the RUST.

later

8. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Other day I got tired of asking parts people about the mask so I went to the parts Manager who got on the phone with someone who told him "I have a secret E-mail about them and yours will arrive tomorrow. Went out and got the mask. It's part #PT218-47040 with list pricde of $149.00, however they charged me only $134.10.

9. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Other day I got tired of asking parts people about the mask so I went to the parts Manager who got on the phone with someone who told him "I have a secret E-mail about them and yours will arrive tomorrow. Went out and got the mask. It's part #PT218-47040 with list pricde of $149.00, however they charged me only $134.10.[/quote]

be aware of the warning that is included with the mask "Mask should be removed before washing car" Then, the car and mask must be perfectly dry and clean before re-application.

10. Joel

Joel New Member

I have the 3M paint protection film kit for the upper and lower bumper for sale email [email protected] if you are interested.

11. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, probably a dumb question: If you have a mask on your Prius and you get a really good rain or snow, do you have to remove it to let it dry out... just a if you're going through a car wash?
    Seems like a lot of work.
    Just wondering as I was/am thinking of a mask for my '04 Prius.
    Thanks.
    Don

12. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I don't worry about rain or the car wash. Others I have talked to don't worry about it either. You should watch out for dirt or sand getting underneath it but it fits so tight I don't think that will happen. :D :D :D

13. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It will happen. I've seen dirt in what I thought were impossibly tight fittings on my boat, and that was just from ambient air and soot from the arterial street running next to my moorage. If dirt can collect in a near stationary boat, it will certainly collect under your "bra". I think the bra will give you more trouble than it will prevent, as per my experience with my Beetle many years ago.
    B

14. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

don't worry about rain or the car wash. Others I have talked to don't worry about it either. You should watch out for dirt or sand getting underneath it but it fits so tight I don't think that will happen. :D :D :D[/quote]

It will happen. I've seen dirt in what I thought were impossibly tight fittings on my boat, and that was just from ambient air and soot from the arterial street running next to my moorage. If dirt can collect in a near stationary boat, it will certainly collect under your "bra". I think the bra will give you more trouble than it will prevent, as per my experience with my Beetle many years ago.
    B[/quote]

Bob: Think about it before you purchase the mask. It will take about 30 minutes to remove it and at lest an hour to put it back on.

15. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <snip?

Bob: Think about it before you purchase the mask. It will take about 30 minutes to remove it and at lest an hour to put it back on.[/quote]

I think I can have mine off in under 5 min... and back on in less than 20.. maybe even less as I do it many more times... (if stretched/broken in) IMHO..

This mask is easier to install/put on than the 2001 - 2003 was.

I just wish it would have come up the Hood more.

And yes dirt and grim will will creep in under the hood part of the mask... I did not see much dirt/grim under the bumper cover...

When dirty, Machine wash, gentle came very cleen...

I remove mine twice a year... same time I give the car a very good bath and wax job.... I rego over the areas with a thick layer of wax... etc where the mask will be for extra protection..

16. charlieh

charlieh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had a bra on my '03 since I got it. The dirt DOES collect underneath, but I really got tired of filling paint chips. I do remove it when I wash the car. Then I hose the bra off on the felt side to get the grime off and let it dry. It takes me about 10 minutes to get it off and about 15 to get it back on. Only issue I have had is there are two rubber tabs that insert under the headlight bezels and the fit is so tight that I have torn the stitching on the rubber tab to the bra as I tried to pull it off. I make sure I keep extra wax on the areas covered by the bra. UV fade is a bit of a concern, but haven't noticed anything yet. May look into that clear 3m "bra" for my '04.

17. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Might anyone with a bra/mask on an '04 post a couple of pictures it on the car for us? Or point us to images of this?
    Thanks very much!

18. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  19. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have the front end mask/bra installation instructions that they could post or upload?
    I'm curious as to what's involved before I make the purchase.
    I've asked a couple of vendors for a peek at the instructions prior to buying, but no luck.
    Thanks!