1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end noise over bumps, bouncy fuel gauge....Lets see how it goes.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kevine64, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brought the car in for a few things to have fixed under my CPO warranty.

Cover with the oil change door. Mine was just totally missing, they changed that with no issues :)

Sometimes, more so when full my fuel gauge drops a bar after driving then goes up a bar out of no where. No hard driving and not parking on any hills. do not know what causes it but they are telling me this is normal. I call BS but have nothing to back up my BS call. Anyone have a TSB or a thread telling me what part is screwed up or anything I can do to make them fix this? I know its not right....

Last thing is there is a metal ratteling noise coming from the front end wheel area when going over bumps or rough areas of road. They first said they couldnt hear it so I went up there and reporduced it from them..... Clear as day but the tech was telling the service advisor they could barely hear it. He needs his ear checked cause I heard it clear as day. I can tell they were going to try and tell me its normal too but I put a quick and fast stop to that BS. They are keeping the car for another day. I found a TSB for a noise but wondering if anyone else had issues like this and could tell me what the issue was and how was it fixed.

I update as to what they finally do.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With the fuel gage I'm not talking about seeing it drop a bar. I'm seeing it drop a bar and then go up a bar a few min later then back down again later. Never seen a fuel gauge go up lol. But according to thus dealer it's normal for thus fuel gauge to go up and not just down lol

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius has an analog fuel level sender and a digital gauge. So this kind of "jumping" is normal.

5. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    do not know about analog sender but ive had many digital gauges and never seen this before. But i dont know much about those things either

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most cars do the same thing with the fuel guage. My work truck will go from 3/4full to the warning saying I have only 50 miles left to 3/4 full again because of a hill.

7. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm on flat ground when it happens. I also belive the prius has a bladder and not. Tank so makes it seem even stranger to me.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gen II had the bladder, the Gen III does not.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you think rising one bar is bad, wait until you see it rise TWO bars. I spotted this in my 201o several times. I cured this on the 2012 by looking at the fuel gauge much less frequently.

The fuel in the tank sloshes around quite a bit. If you have a ScanGauge, program in the FLV gauge and watch it, unfiltered. The car's fuel display filters out most of this slosh, but is not perfect.

My last three analog-gauge cars do/did this too. I don't remember farther back than that.