1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Rattle — NOT Undercarriage Shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Emma S., May 25, 2020.

1. Emma S.

Emma S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 3rd Gen 2012 Prius makes a front end rattle noise. It consistently happens:
    • At 65+ mph; sounds like something flapping and bouncing under the hood
    • Upon accelerating from my first full stop after a trip on the highway; sounds like a vibrating gurgle and rattle
      • Listen to the sound here:
    I've brought it in for service about this issue twice, but the mechanics haven't had luck identifying the source of the noise. They did try cleaning and reattaching the undercarriage shield and making sure that the hood insulation and plastic engine cover were secure, but the noise persisted. They blindly guessed that it could have something to do with the transmission damper assembly and spring and suggested a pricey repair with no guarantee that it would solve the problem.

What could this noise be? Any help would be much appreciated!

The vehicle is in stellar condition otherwise with ~48,000 miles on it and with no major repairs.

2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the 65mph+ sound seem to come from the same area, and seem to be similar in timbre/quality (like speeded up), versus the acceleration sound?

Does it seem it could be coming from the dashboard?

Have you had any work performed? Did the sound appear gradually, or did you notice it all of a sudden?

The first thought for the high speed rattling is plastic trim, especially the undercarriage covering (and oil change access door). There aren't any cracks in your front bumper/spoiler, or loose spots, where a fastener/clip might be missing, are there (like from parking lot bumps)? Are your wheel covers tightly in place? Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel or through the seat?

I'm sure your mechanics looked at the suspension, axles and brakes, tires and checked the transmission fluid, right? It is possible to use microphones, placing them in suspect areas, to localize the source of the sound. You're correct not to blindly make expensive repairs.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it the noise that starts around the 4~5 second mark? Sounds like you're decelerating? Braking?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

5. Emma S.

Emma S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks so much for your thorough reply!
    1. The 65+ mph sound comes from the same area and is similar to the timbre/quality of the sound at the acceleration after the first stop, so I'm sure they're the related.
    2. It seems to be coming from close behind the dashboard, behind the steering wheel area, and within the hood area.
    3. The work related to the noise that I actually had performed was having the plastic undercarriage shield removed, cleaned, and securely reattached. The sound appeared pretty much all of a sudden on a long trip on the highway, not gradually.
    4. The plastic trim, undercarriage covering (and oil change access door) are secure and don't rattle. There are not any cracks in my front bumper/spoiler or loose spots where a fastener/clip is missing. I'm careful around potholes and parking lot bumps. My wheel covers are tightly in place. I don't feel any vibration on the steering wheel or through the seat. These are all things that I have personally checked and have had the mechanics double check.
    5. Yes, the mechanics assured me that they looked at the suspension, axles, breaks, tires, and checked the transmission fluid. That's a good idea about strategically placing microphones but I'm not sure exactly what products exist that would stay attached at such a high speed with constant wind and hold up to the heat in the hood. Have you had luck with placing microphones inside a hood? To clarify, the sound that I linked in my original post is very representative.

6. Emma S.

Emma S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, it's the noise at the ~4-5 second mark. That's the sound that happens immediately when I begin accelerating from a full stop.

Thanks! The vehicle is in stellar condition otherwise with ~48,000 miles on it and with no major repairs.

#6 Emma S., May 26, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds more mechanical to me. is it constant?

8. Emma S.

Emma S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It sounds more mechanical to me as well. It happens pretty consistently at 65+ mph, especially if I'm accelerating to pass someone, and it happens almost every time as I accelerate from my first full stop after getting off the highway.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    off the wall guess at motor mount or heat shield, but it is a sound i don't recall ever reading about here

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That would likely be exhaust manifold heat shield, best inspected with the windshield trim, wipers/linkage/motor, and cowl removed. More info in @NutzAboutBolts excellent spark plug change* video, linked in a stickied thread at the top of this forum.

* Yup, all that rigamarole is also required to get at the spark plugs.

One thing: if following that video for the spark plug change, they mention torquing plugs to 20 foot/pounds with anti-seize on the threads. Spec is 15 foot/pounds with dry threads. Permatex (one anti-seize manufacture, common in North America) recommends to reduce torque 25% if using their anti-seize, say 11~12 pounds.

#10 Mendel Leisk, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  11. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't personally used microphones, but know they exist. Someone here will probably figure out your problem.

Are you all up to date with any recalls-nothing outstanding?

12. Emma S.

Emma S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I sure hope so! I can't be the only one who's had this issue.

Yes, I'm all up to date with no outstanding recalls or anything to address.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you can. not the issue so much, because we don't know what it is. but the symptom is very unusual. :unsure: