1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front End Squeak Fix When Going Over Speed Bumps According To The Toyota Dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Valencia Orange, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Toyota Prius has been making noise when going over speed bumps for quite awhile. I decide to take it to the Toyota dealership to have the car evaluated. It has 108,000 miles on it.

The dealer did the evaluation and did not charge me anything.

They told me the following.
    Front brakes had 70% left
    Rear brakes had 75% left

They said the following had to be replaced to eliminate the squeak.
    Front Strut Below (Torn) Prices I found online $53.00
    Spring Seats Prices I found online $40.00
    Bump Stops Prices I found online $27.00
    Strut Cushion Mount Prices I found online $150.00

Total Parts Both Sides $270.00

They said the struts were fine. Another mechanic told me if they are taking the front end apart you should replace both struts at this time. Struts (2) Cost $216.00

Total Parts Both Sides with Struts $486.00

Labor ???

I will eventually have the work done.

Has anyone fixed the front-end squeak replacing the parts above? I just don’t want to spend the money for repair and still have the squeaks.

Thank you

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dry anti roll bar (sway bar) bushes are another common cause of front end squeaks, but these are easy to lube with spray rubber grease or silicon spray. I would suggest trying this first. However if the strut boot is torn your going to have to replace that at some point. At your millage it would be prudent to replace the struts while carrying out the other work as there will be no more labor.

John (Britprius)

3. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could also be the hubcaps squeaking on the face of your wheels. Pull the caps off and wash the wheels then test drive to see if the squeak goes away.