1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front end tapping noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BrendonG, Apr 18, 2023.

1. BrendonG

BrendonG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi all,

I recently changed the front right bearing hub, and ever since its made a noise when either taking off or reversing. It seems to me like there's play in the driveline somewhere, as I only get the noise once, until force is applied in the other direction.

Ive checked everything is tight, including the main axle nut. I dont think the axle could be spinning inside the hub unless the new hub is slightly faulty?

Here's a video showing the noise. Ive got the handbrake on hard and I'm switching between forwards and reverse.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. BrendonG

BrendonG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Update, it was the axle spinning inside the hub a fractional amount. I don't have have a torque wrench so all I done the first time was tighten it as much as I could.

Turns out I needed a bigger breaker bar and I managed to get an extra 1/8th of a turn on the wheel nut and it stopped the clicking.