1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front fender liner dragging after owning car for 1 month

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cd124, Jul 2, 2020.

1. cd124

cd124 New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! This is my first post here. We just bought a new Prius Prime and have had it less than a month. A few nights ago I scraped it on a low ledge at the front of someone's driveway. There was a slight scrape on the bottom of the front fender. Yesterday my partner went on a 2 hour drive and the front drivers side fender liner (splash shield) started dragging on the ground. Apparently this is not covered by the warranty, but it strikes me as maybe a manufacturing issue that the car would just fall apart like this after a slight scrape.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering if maybe the front fender liner was not attached or clipped properly (saw that reported by someone with an older model Prius, but I wasn't sure if this was an issue with the Prime).

Thank you!

kenoarto likes this.
  2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nope, no problem here...many scrapes later.

I sometimes here about a front scrape on someones Prime, but can't say that I've read about any parts falling off or dragging.

Rob43

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it is very possible your PRIME had a few missing fasteners, but this is the first time I have ever heard that problem on PRIME, that is loose fender liner after scrapes. Yes, the is low to ground and it is prone to scraping. I've done it to my 2017 PRIME a couple times. You can try talking to the dealer (or Toyota) to see if the warranty covers it, but chances are they will say no.

#3 Salamander_King, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    kenoarto likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3rd gen are similar, I never roll the car up to concrete wheel stops anymore, just asking for trouble. And yeah, it shouldn't be like that.

kenoarto likes this.
  5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup! Our front end is so trashed that I always have to keep wire in the car to pull things things back in place.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had gotten a spool of stainless steel wire for fastening stuff when we lived on an island. Now the main use is keeping the nose of our 2007 from drooping. LOL!

#6 jerrymildred, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    kenoarto likes this.