1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Lip Spoiler - 2006 Model Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tomel, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Tomel

Tomel New Member

I noticed in Toyota's discussion of changes for the '06 the mention of the addtion of a "front lip spoiler." I've got a question for those of you more schooled in aerodynamics than myself. Is this addition meant to address the stability/handling issues that have been discussed in various threads? Or is the addition of a front lip spoiler probably just a cosmetic change?

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I haven't seen the 2006 front spoiler, so I'm making an educated guess here about its function. If Toyota is trying to address the problem of lift created by the wedgy shape of the car with its curved upper surface, they would need to disrupt the flow over the top. That would reduce the lift, but would add to the drag, so I'm thinking that they are trying to streamline the airflow UNDER the car, which also creates drag. I doubt that it's merely cosmetic.

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new spoiler doubles as a fastening point for a new undertray about 4' wide X 2' deep. It smoothes the surface flat from the painted bumper rearward to the area about even with the front axle centerline. I've seen a few '06's now, and not all have it installed. The two new pieces are shipped in the trunk and are supposed to be dealer installed during PDI/PDS. It lowers ground clearance further and I imagine would be torn off during truck transport if it were factory installed before shipping.

4. Howard

Howard New Member

Because of this redesign, the Toyota bra does not fit.

5. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Whoah... how do I know if it's there or not when I pick up my '06 this weekend? I can't really see anything here can I? http://www.toyota.com/prius/exterior.html

Anyone mind positng a pic of this spoiler?

Dave

6. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the wide black plastic piece on the bottom, only about 1" high. It's fastened to the existing 6-7 screws. Then 4-5 nylon slip-on nuts are installed in flanges in the bottom of the lip spoiler and the front of the new undertray is fastened to it. The rear of the tray is then attached to another fairing piece with 4 metal slip-on nuts and screws.

I saw another new '06 today in the beautiful Classic Silver parked at Safeway. I can't help peek underneath them now. It had both pieces installed. You'll need to get down to street level to see the new undertray. It's flat and smooth. If you see bumps and protrusions, the undertray wasn't installed. Of the half-dozen I've looked over, one had neither piece, one only had the lip spoiler.

7. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks much!

Dave

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does this sound retrofitable to the 2005s?

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe so for both '04's and '05's. Your best bet is to return to your selling dealer and ask to borrow the two pieces from one right off the truck for a fitment check. They're plastic wrapped with a mounting hardware packet in the trunk. Most likely the P/N's are stamped on them. You might have to drill new holes, but nothing major.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah cause that'll help with parking lot scraps. I'd rather scrape that plastic than the painted bumper.