1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front seat airbags - where do they deploy from?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hozozco, Nov 1, 2007.

1. hozozco

hozozco New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi

Bought a second hand 2005 Prius about a fortnight ago. Very happy with it. A huge leap up from a 1999 Daihatsu Sirion and the fact that the Prius uses less petrol than a small car with a 1L, 3 cylinder motor is just remarkable.

Anyway, my question...

I'm planning to purchase some custom made sheepskin seat covers. They're locally made, so I can get whatever modifications I want. I've arranged to have holes left on either side to accommodate the airbags, but my question is - where exactly do they deploy from, and how much space to I need to leave?

I've been told that they deploy from the centre seam (obviously, on the outside of the seat). There is a tag that indicates this. I've also been told that this tag indicates where the airbag cannister is, and then from there it deploys upwards. Does anyone have any more detailed information. I don't want to cover this with sheepskin - I paid a little extra to get a Prius with these airbags, and while I don't want to use them, if I need them I want them to work correctly.

Oh, and this is an Australian version if it makes any difference.

Many, many thanks

:)

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the attached PDF file for assembling/disassembling Prius seats might be of some help (see especially page SE-3 which shows where the airbag cannister/device and the airbag sensor are located) to you and your seat cover maker: [EDIT: Note that I do not know for sure if Australian spec seats are the same.]

[attachmentid=12280]

Also, other people who have put aftermarket seat covers on their cars which accomodate front seat side airbags should be able to help.

Later today I'm expecting a delivery of a replacement set of the OEM seat covers. I'll take a close look inside and out of the front seat covers. If I find anything revealing, I'll post my findings.

Pat Sparks - I thought you had sheepskin covers put on yours. Do you have front seat side airbags?

Attached Files:

4. prius2go

prius2go Member

when removing front seats
    Is it enough to disconnect the 12V battery to prevent air bags exploding?
    Assume the car will be unlocked but not 'ready'
    What information does the car forget when the battery is disconnected?
    :huh:

5. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They deploy forward from the side bolsters to get between you and the door and come out of the forward seam which they burst. They stay outside the seat, that is, they do not deploy towards the center of the car. Make sure your sheepskin covers end at the edge of the side bolsters and no strap goes around the side bolsters and you'll be fine (outside side bolster only, there is no airbag in the inside bolster). Yes, if the side airbags deploy you will probably need new seat covers. While it's usually the stitching that breaks, the seat covers, cloth and leather, usually also tears around and between the stitching holes.

Even with the battery disconnected the airbags are dangerous. It is -possible- to set them off with static, though unlikely. Hence all the warnings on them and in the manuals.

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    I think from the tag down

9. hozozco

hozozco New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to all the posters above.

patsparks, many thanks. I had my car serviced yesterday and Toyota gave me a hard copy of the ebook you provided. It does appear to deploy from the tag down, but it is a bit hard to be sure, I'd love to see it from the other angle. The wetokole video is great, but you don't know what sort of seat is in the video and it's possible that the Prius is different.

Boo, the 'Prius Seat Assembly Instructions' clearly show where the cannister is, but I can't tell quite how it deploys (what angle etc).

I've actually seen another video that shows the deployment -

http://www.autobytel.com/content/research/...amp;make=Toyota

- but the angle is wrong to get a good look.

I think at the moment I'll probably go with having more cut away than is probably necessary. I'm a Registered Nurse and I've seen a lot of brain injuries and don't want to have one (although my area is cardiac, so they're usually as a result of heart attacks - put out that cigarette and put down that fried chicken wing). I even wear a helmet when I'm ice skating!

But thanks for the help, and Boo, if you can post anymore information based on your OEM seat covers that would be great.

:)

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    here's a shot of my seat cover- you can see where the breakway flap allows the airbag to go through.

[​IMG]

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hozozco @ Nov 1 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]533588[/snapback]</div>
    Hi hozozco,

I received the OEM seat covers this evening, and looked at the front seat covers very carefully, inside and out. Unfortunately, from my examination, I cannot determine where the airbag area break-away stitching begins or ends. In fact, I cannot even recognize the break-away stitching because all the stitching looks the same to me ... could it be that all of the stitching is break-away?

I think you should ask your Toyota dealer.

Alternatively, maybe some of the PriusChatters who installed Wet Okole or GT or other aftermarket seat covers can tell you exactly where to locate the sheepskin cut-a-way so that the side airbag can deploy correctly. You might have to create a new thread for this -- clearly stating your question(s) in the thread title. Or search the "seat covers" and "Wet Okole" threads and choose apparently knowledgeable PriusChatters to send a PM (Personal Message) to with your question(s).

Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 1 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]533606[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks galaxee. I was going to mention your name for the GT covers and you know who's name for the Wet Okoles, but I didn't want to volunteer specific names.

12. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good thing I checked here because Bozo the clown at the dealership (service department) told me that the side airbag on the 2008 Package #2 deploys from the center post next to the seat, not from the seat itself.