1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front seat upgrade

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Pablo.nyc, Nov 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Pablo.nyc

Pablo.nyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I find prius gen1 seats to soft for a longer trip. I have seen someone fitting sits from a Zoe but seems with that amount of work you can fit practically any seat.

Any ideas what fits without hassle? Maybe something from Toyota.... or BMW

Also do you have solution for side airbag error? Which resistor to use?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yesterday I found it beautiful set of soft tech seats out of a 2013 Prius V that looks like they have the same bolt holes on the seat brackets as a regular generation 3 if not they are very close I'm pretty sure I could probably get them in a generation too but I've never looked at the generation 1 close enough I think it has a transmission tunnel and the mount that goes towards the transmission tunnel actually mounts to the side of the transmission tunnel instead of the floor of the car The generation two seats mount like this The generation 3 seats I think are more flat on the floor eyes on the mounds but still could probably be fit fairly easy You might need a spacer a short one under one of the mounts or the eyes of the mount. I wouldn't want to try and sit BMW or Volvo seats European seats per se they tend to come apart and look terrible after just a few years The leather splits so on and so forth so I'd want it try and be careful of that if I'm going to do all this work to get other seats in the car I have some old cloth recaros But they're quite old and would have to be dealt with before installing so it's generally not worth it The seats that came in the '85 Supra were really cool try and find a set of those I own a couple of these cars.

3. Pablo.nyc

Pablo.nyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    E36 e39 e46 seats are cheap and avaiable locally where I am located.They hold up much better that the original ones. At least in my case.

This really could be anything that bolts on and is comfortable on a long run.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not sure if they're too soft, maybe, but I know they wear you on a long trip. I feel it in my hips, and a GF felt it in her back. And I've probably made more long trips in these than most owners. Did 5000m in the last month.

For me though, the body part that wears out first is my right shoulder - because I'm too tall or the console armrest is too low. I usually ended up stuffing my carry-on between the seats to prop my arm up, but then one of the Prii I bought had a cushioned arm rest extender - seemed to be made just for these cars, matching color, dimensions. Sits on the console and rises about 8" higher.

5. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow I thought I was the only one with complaints on the seats. I changed out my seats last year. I couldn't find anything That I liked from other cars. Plus I wanted something new so I bought a pair of NRG Type R seats off of Ebay. Of course you need to modify cause nothing comes easy to bolt on on these Prius.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well that would be the same for the Corollas and most of our Asian cars seats just won't bolt in because when you buy seats they come with a basic frame rail kind of like an office chair almost it's quite interesting so you either have to fab up your own brackets or buy their brackets and bend the tabs and add spacers so on even in the early '80s when I had supras. They had the recaro modular copy type seats. You could not get real recaro seats indoor bracketry to fit my Supra or any of the celica's etc only for the German cars that the seats maker came from basically

7. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Correct there's not a lot of people making aftermarket parts for the Prius.