1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Side Air Bags 2004 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by terkar, May 1, 2004.

1. terkar

terkar New Member

Trying to determine if my 04 Prius has side air bags for the driver and front passenger. Read the manual and the brochure both quite confusing on this point. Help!!! :? :?

2. S5280ft

S5280ft New Member

What option did you buy?

Check out the toyota website:
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/prius/options.html

It looks like options #2 (GY), #3 (AF),#5 (AI), #6 (BI), #7 (AM) and #9 (BC) all have seat mounted thorax side airbags and roof mounted head (curtain) side airbags. At least in the U.S.A. Check out www.prius.com for other countries.

Whew! it would have been easier to list the ones that don't have side bags.

Scott

3. cybele

cybele New Member

Get in the car and look around. On the front "posts" if you look up towards the ceiling, they have some printing on them that says that there are airbags stowed there.

I can try to take some photos later, if you need more help on finding them.

4. terkar

terkar New Member

I looked at the pillar and see no writing or other indication that side air bags are there.
    Mine is a Basic model - No package, no rear wiper nothing.

I am trying to determine if the car comes standard with front side air bags.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, Side Airbags aren't standard.

If you had them, not only would the A and C pillars have the imprint, but there would be tags on the outside of the front seats near the top of the seat showing the Airbags.

The labeling is for Safety Workers and Mechanics so they know where not to apply the jaws of life or a large hammer or something.

6. terkar

terkar New Member

Tempus: Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I live in NC so am stuck with the Southeast Region Distributor. Prius comes into the port (Jacksonville) the add on whatever they want then send it to the dealers who have no say in what they get. Customers either take it or leave it. I did get the color - Red -I wanted and was the first in this area to get an 04 - just could not wait. Love the car! The only thing I really wanted was the Smart Entry - oh well, next time.

7. egs

egs Junior Member

If a SE dealer was telling you that, they were feeding you BS. I ordered from a small dealer in NC and they easily deleted all of the Toyoguard options along with a bunch of things I also didn't care about. I saw all of the extra stuff on the upcoming car on www.buyatoyota.com and informed the dealer. Next day, sure enough, the options were deleted on the website. Hopefully I'll be taking delivery of my Driftwood (Silver was first choice) #9 this week... ;-)

8. terkar

terkar New Member

Ed: I learn something everyday!

Let me know if you actually get the car your expecting. I have heard a lot of strange tales regarding the SE Region.

Terry