1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Side Marker Light (disconnect or re-wire?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SDM44, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was searching but didn't find anything specific to this topic. And before adding aftermarket side marker lights (like HERE) I was wondering if anyone had considered doing this mod. I actually just did this for my friend's II this past weekend, and plan on doing it to my V after I get it (boat lands tomorrow at the port... yay).

In the owner's manual on page 478, the front side marker wedge bulbs use a standard wedge 2-way plug. It would be easy enough to disconnect the bulb if you don't want it lit up at night, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the light. The other option is to re-route the positive wire down to the turn signal, thus turning off the bulb at night when your lights are on, but still blinking when you turn on the signal in conjunction with your front & rear blinkers. Therefore, you can then have functioning side markers that flash when you hit the signal. I did this for my friend's car and now it looks pretty good at night with only the headlights & parking light bulbs on (H11 4300K HIDs and white 194 LED matches perfectly). When he turns on the signal, both the front bumper and the front side marker amber bulbs light up at the same time, at the same speed (no fast blinkers). From the side of the car, or even in the blind spot of the car, the flashing front side marker is very noticable and I think more of a good safety feature to have. The hardest part is just routing the wire and hiding it so it's done clean & unnoticed. The next time my friend comes over, I'll shoot some video of it at night.

I figured since it's too expensive to source some JDM mirrors with the blinkers already in them, and rather than drilling holes into the fender for some aftermarket side markers, this was the next best thing. Has anyone else done this mod? For some cars, this may be called the 'euro lights' mod, but it's something I've done on other cars.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  2. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    woops, wrong location. Can a mod move this over to the Gen III Accessories & Modifications page?

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wrong location? I don't think so! :eek:

In reality, the side marker mod can be done on either the Gen II or
    Gen III cars. So I have no problem with it in the Gen II forums.

Actually, I have an ulterior motive. I've debadged the HybridSD badge
    on my Gen II, and haven't wired it up yet. My BMW Side Marker Mod.

I'll be watching closely to see how/what you do. :yo:

4. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with using the HybridSD badge holes on a GIII is that the holes are in different locations on each side. The driver side has the holes maybe 1-2 inches from the driver's door, where on the passenger side the emblem holes are about 4-5 inches from the passenger front door. Unless you do some additional cutting, you won't be able to align aftermarket lights using the existing emblem holes on the GIII fenders. Somebody posted pics of this in the GIII forums.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.