1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front speed sensor bolts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Froese, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Steve Froese

Steve Froese New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a gen II (2004) Prius. I had to replace my front bearings and one of the speed sensor bolts broke. I was able to drill out the stud, but I need to know the bolt size. I know it's an M6 bolt, but does anybody know how long it is? I could take out the other side and match it, but I'm hoping somebody knows so I don't have to do that :)

2. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  3. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry. I know this is too late to help the OP, but hopefully helps someone else. I ran into the same issue with the broken bolt. It turns out the bolt is M6-1.0 x 20mm. Obviously, it would be better to get the specific bolt at the dealer, but if you don't have a dealer nearby, you can likely get the M6-1.0 x 20mm at a local hardware store. I used this size bolt along with two 1/4 inch flat washers and it worked out perfectly. (One flat washer might be fine too, but I didn't try it.)

Note to self for future reference: I don't know the torque spec, but these bolts don't need heavy tightening torque. Next time, I will just use a stubby ratchet so that I don't over-torque it.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For future reference, I found that the ABS speed sensor bolt torque spec is 8NM or 71 inch lbs.

5. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also for future reference...those things always break when they're rusty. It is easy, and probably better, to unplug the wire from inside the engine compartment, thread it out through the wheel well hole, unclip/unscrew it from the strut, and remove the knuckle WITH THE WHOLE WIRE ATTACHED when you need to press out the bearing.