1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front splash shield parts repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robl45, May 8, 2018.

1. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I ran over one of those truck tire treads in the road on the way to work today. It messed up the front bumper and splash shield. It looks like a couple of holes got ripped and I'm guessing i'm missing a screw or 3. I assume I'll need some fender washers to make up for at least one decent ripped screw whole I saw but what size screws are they?

Just looking to get this thing back together tonight so its not unsafe to drive tomorrow. Bad enough I have to drive it home 55 miles like this.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just jury-rig for the interim, with baling wire, twist-ties, twine, what have you, and do it right when you have more time, raise the front a bit if possible (safely), research the parts numbers, for both the shields and fasteners. There's likely to be several types of fasteners.

McGeorge Toyota Parts is one resource I use a lot, just to reference parts:

Bumper & Components - Front for 2004 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Splash Shields for 2004 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Fender & Components for 2004 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

3. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I will put up on ramps and see what I can try to fix tonight. I won't be buying extra parts, this car is just a commuter and not worth very much. Just need it to be safe. The links you posted seem to list everything except the center splash shield and fasteners. Even when they list fasteners they don't seem to mention what they actually are. Do you know the actual screws that are used in the center splash shield so I can just go to home depot and pick up some screws and fender washers?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, I'm third gen. Hopefully someone here with 2nd gen can take a look for you. Take and post some clear pictures, and that'll help responders. Your best resource is likely the car itself, if the fasteners are semi-symetrical, ie: you have some on one side missing on the other side. I find on our third gen at least, there's a combo of:

1. Coarse thread screws, that screw into nylon blocks locked in the frame or bumper.
    2. Metric bolts, that screw into weld nuts.
    3. Various push-in plastic fasteners.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The plastic undercover design changed across the various 2G model years.

As Mendel pointed out, it is best if you can find corresponding hardware which is still on the vehicle, to help you when you shop for replacement hardware.

Some of the missing hardware may be plastic fasteners which you will not find at a hardware store. You can get replacements at your local Toyota dealer. Some auto parts stores sell boxes of assorted plastic fasteners intended for use with specific auto makes such as Toyota.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife wiped mine out too. I tie wrapped it up and then sheet metal screwed it together. Been like that for a few years. I made the mistake of buying that piece on ebay. What a total pos. Useless. It came rolled up. It was so thin and distorted. Dont waste your time if replacing it
    buy the original factory shield.

The OEM cover is $50 online Olathe Toyota last time I looked.

7. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly it's so messed up I'm not sure how it goes back together. Anyone have pics?

8. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    20180508_200037.jpg 20180508_200037.jpg 20180508_195955.jpg

Complete mess. I zip tied it. I don't know if the ties will hold long term I may need heavier ones but it's safe to drive currently

Attached Files:

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oh no yours looks alot better than mine lol...

10. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose. Just hope the 18lb tie wraps hold. I was gonna try to redo the screws but I couldn't stretch it enough and the bumper holes are ripped.

11. robl45

robl45 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    held up on morning 55 mile trip so far. Hopefully it keeps holding.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.