1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front spoiler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hschuck, Apr 13, 2006.

1. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota incorporated a front spoiler on the 2006 models. It also will mount on the 2004/5 models using the seven fasteners that secure the front edge of the bottom engine cover to the bumper. Costs ~$80. See it on a 2006.

I assume that it is there for aerodynamic purposes as it is almost unnoticeable unless you are looking for it. I have installed the spoiler with the anticipation that it will improve crosswind stability. Time will tell.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool! Got pics?

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Seems to be available for sale at Sigma. Look for "06 Engine Shield + Lower Spoiler".

4. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Apr 13 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]239278[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like sigma is selling the engine shield and spoilier as a set. Your 04/5 already has the engine shield. The spoiler is available at your Toyota Parts Dept; p/n 76851-47010. Sigma may sell the spoiler alone for less, however, shipping might eat up any savings.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 with the spoiler. If I head in forwards and back out of my driveway, no problem, but if I back in and drive forward facing out, the spoiler drags on the pavement unless I really creep out. Also some cross-street rain gutters will cause the spoiler to scrape at speed. Mine was damaged by a freeway truck tire tread. (along with $1800 other stuff). The body shop said the spoiler was back ordered, so I drove my car for a week without it, and couldn't tell any difference in 500 miles of freeway. When the new part came in I had it fitted, and they gave me the old part which is only slightly damaged, so I'm keeping it as a spare.
    Beware of steep driveways, rain gutters, and tire treads!

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OH DAMM!, Sigma's selling the Kenstyle body kits!!!!! Man what a bad lookin ride, Im gonna have to save my pennies but its worth it... Thanks Sigma!

7. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

So that's what scrapes going in and out of the driveway.

8. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Apr 13 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]239340[/snapback]</div>
    The engine shield is as low as the spoiler in spots, but, that is several inches aft of the spoiler; when contact is made because of a change in the incline (e.g. driveway, etc) the spoiler will hit first. I had scraped the bottom of the bumper and the engine shield on dips before I installed the spoiler; you can believe I am much more careful now.

9. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Apr 14 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]239715[/snapback]</div>
    So have you notice any additional straight line stability with the spoiler? I know the spoiler was mentioned as one of the European additions for 2006 that aided stability. Nice that we at least go something here in the states....would be better if you said it work though. Thanks

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I couldn't tell much difference with or without it. I put a Z28 front spoiler on my 66 Mustang, and it was really noticable on freeway speeds, though it was over 3" deep. The puny one on the factory 06 is less than 1 inch, though I'm sure Toyota tested it with some benefit. The benefit may be mpg related rather than stability. I don't feel that my Prius is any more wind-blown than my Impreza, which is 3-400 lbs heavier, and has a lower side profile.