1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front Tag holder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by auart, Sep 20, 2006.

1. auart

auart Junior Member

I have the front tag part that came in my Prius and haven't used it till now... It has Two Screws and that is all.
    Do these two simply screw into those little indented spots on the front bumper? No nut on the back side to secure it?
    I wouldn't think it would hold a heavy (Pewter) tag if that is the case...

Anybody had to do this themselves?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had to do this myself. I used thick screws. It works for me.

I suppose that if you really wanted to be thorough and sure, you can use a bolt and a nut with a washer.

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did just that to mine and if I recall there is a metal backing plate within the bumper that's pre drilled behind the plastic facia indents. Mine has yet to come off after 1 1/2 years
    -Paul R. Haller-

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it ok to leave that part off? The car looks so much better without it. I seem to remember someone attaching their plate in the lower grill area instead.

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is a black plastic holder that attaches to the front of the bumper. The license plate is then attached to the black thing. I assume it has a part number, but I don't know what it is. Maybe metrotpn.com or your local dealer could help you find/order it.

I guess using the word "tag" for license plates must be one of those East Coast idiosyncrasies, like standing "on" line instead of standing "in" line (if there's a line painted on the ground, THEN I'm standing "on" a line...). Tags are little floppy things that get attached to clothing, not big metal plates that gets screwed onto your car!!!

:)

6. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Sep 21 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]322703[/snapback]</div>
    TAG...License Plate......Who cares what you call it.... I was just looking for advice on the screws that hold it to the front bumper...
    By the way, there are stores that sell nothing but Collegiate CAR TAGS in Malls... and websites that sell Car Tags....

I did go into a store today to buy some screws to hold my PLATE to the black holder, and they are called License Plate Fasteners!

So I guess its == who gives a rip what you call it!

7. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 21 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]322710[/snapback]</div>
    Well I installed the front tag holder yesterday and as far as I can tell it's just two self tapping screws. There was nothing behind them like a backing plate and the self tapping is through the plastic part of the bumper. Very cheap by Toyota. They could have spend an extra buck or two and made this secure. I also looked and adding a real bolt and nut is not going to be easy. You cannot get to the back of the bumper without a lot of work.

8. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Oct 1 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]326433[/snapback]</div>

I'm a little disappointed - I really expected this thread to turn into a rant on whether it should be called a plate or a tag :rolleyes:

9. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 20 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]322659[/snapback]</div>
    Is the front plate required in AL? If not, don't bother putting it on, the car looks so much nicer without it!! And you don't already have the messed up wholes to deal with. Lucky you that the dealer didn't already screw it in and destroy the front bumper!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Oct 1 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]326435[/snapback]</div>

no kidding. what kind of a post is this if not arguing semantics? Harden up those heads and try again next time!! We'll be waiting!