1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front tire rattle sound going over Botts dots

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by happywithmyc, Sep 10, 2012.

1. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    my c4 when new made a rattle noise only in the front drivers side tire . can be heard while the window is down and while hitting bumps on the road or the lane dividers reflectors. botts dots i believe.

I made a apt at dealer to have it looked at.. does anyone else hear this rattle noise while the window is down ..
    only while brakes are off.

plmk if this happens to you too

2. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I don't think this matches your description of rattles, but just in case...mine was making some noise, and it turned out to be a piece of gravel stuck in the treads.

3. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    this is more like a loose nut or brake backing plate not on all the way.. at 1030 am tomorrow it will be at the dealers to find it hopefully ,

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There was a TSB out for the 2010 for this front brake rattle. I had this ratttle, more so when cold, and had this TSB performed. The fix was to install pads and backing plates that made a tighter fit in the calipers.

I am not sure if this would apply to your 2012 c.

5. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    car is at dealership now.. i used a rubber mallet on the dft to show the service writer the sound it would make on the road. he agreed that something was loose and said it maybe the brake backing plate. will c in bout 4 hours.

6. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    to those that have rattle n care, it was repaired with the tsb for the 2010 prius front brake rattle. my car rattles no more.

they told me it wasn't the brake pad or backing plate but they did also lube the bolts that hold the calipers per the tsb and that fixed it. it wasn't a safety issue at all

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's is exactly what I have with my C. I took it to the dealer and I had a ride with their technician. His answer was, well I can hear something but I don't know if it meant to be like that or not. We need to take a ride on the other C and see if it does the same. I was like :eek:, how is that possible that the new car was made to create a rattling noise coming from the breaks? While they were searching for another C on the lot, the technician took care of something else. So they wanted to reschedule my appointment. I couldn't make another appointment for the next couple of weeks, because of my schedule, but now I'm glad that I am not alone with this problem.

8. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    on my daily travels i've gotten use to the rattle sound now that's gone im happy. ive read that some with the rattle on the standard p didn't get it repaired ever.. it wasn't a safety issue... rick vargas at stevens creek toyota san jose was my service advisor and ask him about the 9-11-12 white prius c repair that the customer showed him the rattle by hitting the bottom of the tire tread with a rubber mallet on the dft..

9. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Guys, do you have a copy of TSB by any chance? I just want to have a copy in case if my dealer will start swerving around.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  11. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    just bring a mallet..lol

12. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks a lot. I will post back with an update...

13. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen several posts from owners complaining of a rattle or how noisy it is in the cabin... mine doesn't do that at all. I have driven plenty with no radio, no phone, and the windows rolled up, no fan... the only rattle my C2 makes comes from the license plate in back which needs another two screws.

14. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Mine didn't start until probably 3 or 4 months in. My music is usually loud enough that I don't notice. But there is some foam coming out from between the windshield and the dash, so I'm hoping when I get that fixed it'll at least reduce the rattles a little bit.

15. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't notice mine until I started reading all these threads about the rattle noise. Now I hear it when I'm on the freeway :(

16. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Curses! I drove for a while yesterday with no foreign sounds (radio, fan, phone) and finally DID notice, when I hit uneven road, go over a bump or dip or bot dots, that there is indeed a rattle in the dash/console area. Curses, I say! Since I am rarely running silent like that, I'm not sure if I will pursue the issue or not. Probably wait until my 5000 mile check in.

17. happywithmyc

happywithmyc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    well after 500 miles or so of mild driving in the bay area made my rattle noise return on say 1 out of every 10 times it use to rattle.. mainly at speeds above 35..
    there must be a poorly designed brake hanger braket or bolt assembly that has alot of play.

The tsb they followed at the dealer was just a add lube on bolts sort of thing.. and i think my lube isnt gonna stop the noise from returning.
    I will try the mallet and see if i can hear it then and if so ill bring it up at my service apt next week at the 5k. ill keep you all posted

18. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I went to my dealer, they said that this is normal, and that all Toyotas do that, which I am really doubt about, since my 2010 Camry doesn't have any rattle. As a matter of proof they "test drove" another C from the parking lot with me seating in it, and that C-3 did the same. No reaction on TSB I gave them. So that is how they conclude that this is something normal. Wanna try to fix it on my own and then send and email to Toyota.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Service Advisor tried to tell me the same story about all Toyotas have brake rattle and tried to make me feel guilty for asking for the TSB, almost to the point of inferring that I was trying to get something for nothing from Toyota. If I did not have a copy of the TSB and pointed out the exact problem that I was seeing, especially in cold weather, he probably would have tried to talk me out of it. Once he realized that I was not going to be talked out of it he told me he would order the parts and call me when they came in and would schedule a service appt. Could not have been nicer after the initial attempt to talk me out of it.

I concluded that the Service Advisors are trained to do just that, try to discourage customers from warranty work where possible.

20. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I guess my problem is that this TSB is not for C, even though I'm quite positive that there is no a big difference in their brake systems. I've checked an online price for bushing and it is just a $5 deal. The grease is about $25. I am kind of a handy person, and if my dealer can't do what they suppose to do then I will do it on my own, and I am ready to bet it will be done in a better way, since I care about my car which is quite opposite to Toyota Doesn't Care 2 years program. Thanks for TSB though, at least I know in details how to handle it.
    P.S. I actually sent an email to another dealer here in Houston, and got nothing except silence from their side. Well when time will come to get a new car for my wife, I know for sure which dealers I am going to wipe out first from my shopping list.